Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

The fit out of several retail spaces has begun with drywall installed. Photos taken 29 June.
IMG_2809.jpeg
IMG_2808.jpeg
IMG_2807.jpeg
IMG_2806.jpeg
IMG_2805.jpeg
IMG_2804.jpeg
IMG_2802.jpeg
IMG_2801.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always loved Draper St. and would never want to see the old houses touched, however I imagine some of the "charm" of living there is gone now that they're walled in by condos. I'd love to see it evolve into a sort of mixed-used street that resembles something like Markham St. in Mirvish Village. It could be a mix of shops, offices and residential with care to preserve the houses inside and out. And of course I'd pedestrianize Draper as well.

I've always loved Draper St. and would never want to see the old houses touched, however I imagine some of the "charm" of living there is gone now that they're walled in by condos. I'd love to see it evolve into a sort of mixed-used street that resembles something like Markham St. in Mirvish Village. It could be a mix of shops, offices and residential with care to preserve the houses inside and out. And of course I'd pedestrianize Draper as well.
The fact that we don't have a single pedestrianized street in the city outside of distillery disneyland is so infuriating. My vote is for Ossington between Queen and Dundas

The fact that we don't have a single pedestrianized street in the city outside of distillery disneyland is so infuriating. My vote is for Ossington between Queen and Dundas
Market Street is going car free until Oct 5 this summer. It's small but a step in the right direction. Still, I agree entirely, we have effectively no pedestrian streets, certainly not anything on a large or even medium scale.

The City could easily pedestrianize Church St between Alexander St and Wellesley St, with very few negative impacts other than rich people in Forest Hill losing their express route into downtown. The parking garage behind/below SteamWorks has an entrance off Maitland. The other parking lot on Church south of Maitland is becoming a condo anyway, but already has laneway access from behind. Heck, even deliveries could largely be done from the laneways. But this would require the City to care about the Church-Wellesley Village outside of one weekend a year.

(For additional context, Montreal pedestrianizes it's Gay Village along Rue St Catherine (a significantly more important road than Church St) every summer)

Last edited:
The City could easily pedestrianize Church St between Alexander St and Wellesley St, with very few negative impacts other than rich people in Forest Hill losing their express route into downtown. The parking garage behind/below SteamWorks has an entrance off Maitland. The other parking lot on Church south of Maitland is becoming a condo anyway, but already has laneway access from behind. Heck, even deliveries could largely be done from the laneways. But this would require the City to care about the Church-Wellesley Village outside of one weekend a year.

(For additional context, Montreal pedestrianizes it's Gay Village along Rue St Catherine (a significantly more important road than Church St) every summer)

You mean Rosedale not Forest Hill I assume and Jarvis not Church is the primary artery for north/south commuting.

That said, bring on pedestrianization downtown.

Montreal pedestrianizes more then just the ‘Gay Village’’ section of St Catherine’s ( to mixed results) but I would argue its impact on traffic is negligible at best,

Market Street is going car free until Oct 5 this summer. It's small but a step in the right direction. Still, I agree entirely, we have effectively no pedestrian streets, certainly not anything on a large or even medium scale.
I've had bowel movements longer than market street...it's diminutive but yes cute and charming

I vote for that plus Kensington Market + pedestrian Sundays (every weekend) on Queen West.
a few weeks too late! The city was originally planning to pedestrianize Kensington in a reconstruction next summer but local merchants complained and last week council voted to reconstruct the street with vehicle access still..

a few weeks too late! The city was originally planning to pedestrianize Kensington in a reconstruction next summer but local merchants complained and last week council voted to reconstruct the street with vehicle access still..

Here's the thing.........you're right...but.....

It was a local resident in opposition who really led the charge and mobilized her neighbours to oppose the pedestrianization.
If it were only the merchants, (who were divided on this point, by the way); it probably would have passed.
I think the opposition here was completely and utterly incomprehensible. Including a few people who absolutely knew they were making misleading statements when they deputed...... sigh.

That ship has sailed for the time being.

I think there will be some other opportunities, but Ossington won't be one.......you're not getting this done on a TTC surface route in the near-term, with two possible exceptions.

Spots that may provide opportunities:

1) King Street, I think a couple of blocks, in the vicinity of John are very plausible. It would serve the interests of the theatres, restaurant row, TIFF and the TTC.

2) Scott Street from Esplanade to Front

3) Additional portion of U of T's St. George campus - Willcocks is already planned, but I think both St. Mike's and Victoria would like at least one pedestrian space on the east side of Queen's Park.

4) One street in the immediate proximity of George Brown's main building. Likely George Street, though private resident vehicle access for the abutting condo would have to be accommodated.

5) Queen from Bay to Yonge. I actually think the chances of this one are solid. It is and will be closed to cars for the next several years, the amount of pedestrian traffic here is high and sidewalk capacity is inadequate.

There are a few other opportunities too.

We need to look for places where residents and businesses are likely to be on-side to create positive examples that will sway others.

Last edited:

Back