The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

p5connex

Member Bio
Reaction score
I know, the more green glass we get on this thing, the worse it gets! No-one can really know just how bad this will look when it's all done!

(Plus the Xs appear to be purely decorative, not structural, so that's another rip.)

Was just about to say that. The green glass just ruined what could have been a pretty decent, technical looking tower. The "fake-news" struts, is another reason to be disappointed. Is RIO-CAN responsible for these decisions, or HPA? Whoever it was should be given their walking papers.

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Was just about to say that. The green glass just ruined what could have been a pretty decent, technical looking tower. The "fake-news" struts, is another reason to be disappointed. Is RIO-CAN responsible for these decisions, or HPA? Whoever it was should be given their walking papers.
I believe that the struts, when first proposed by HPA, absolutely were structural, but they got VEed out, along with the higher quality glass and a number of aesthetic and structural moves in the ground realm areas of the tower… and naturally, it's ultimately the people holding the purse strings telling the architects, "We want this, but cheaper".

ProjectEnd

Member Bio
Reaction score
I know, the more green glass we get on this thing, the worse it gets! No-one can really know just how bad this will look when it's all done!

(Plus the Xs appear to be purely decorative, not structural, so that's another rip.)

The X's were *always* decorative. The green glass is a more recent, unfortunate, development.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
I haven't seen the glass in person, but above the rather unfortunate podium levels, this glass reads as more blue than green to me? I would have liked something a bit more silver, but this feels like a solid "not bad" to me so far.
But not as great as it could have been, or we had hoped. A "B", perhaps.

AoD

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
GTA office building spree to spur major tenant shuffle

May. 26, 2020

The Well

The Well, a massive mixed-used development covering 7.8 acres, is bounded by Spadina Avenue to the east, Draper Street to the west, Front Street to the south and Wellington Street to the north. It will comprise more than three million square feet of office, retail, condominium and rental living spaces and amenities.

The office component is being developed by Allied Properties REIT and is tentatively scheduled for completion in Q3 2021.

Shopify has committed to 475,000 square feet at The Well, with Index Exchange committed to 200,000 square feet, Spaces to 127,000 square feet, and Quadrangle to 50,000 square feet. Konrad Group and Intuit will also occupy The Well.

AHK

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Well Office Tower progress perspective - from the time that the first west side forms were put into position for the 19th floor to the same forms being moved into position for the 20th floor was four weeks - May 1 to May 28. Given that the upper floors from here will have smaller footprints, the pace should pick up - hopefully to more like three weeks per floor or better.

The other change that can be seen in the photos is that one of the two concrete pumps / distribution booms has been removed, only one concrete pump now in place for the office tower.

May 1 Photo:

May 1.jpg

May 28 Photo:

May 28 - Close.jpg

Site Overview:

May 28.jpg

karledice

Member Bio
Reaction score
@AHK Great observation!
Another question: cladding seems to be slow with no visible progress in the last 2 weeks on all sides. Thoughts?

Contra

Member Bio
Reaction score
@AHK Great observation!
Another question: cladding seems to be slow with no visible progress in the last 2 weeks on all sides. Thoughts?
Production likely slowed down at the facilities producing said glass. Seems to have been the case for CIBC Square too (as another curtain wall comparison).

officedweller

Member Bio
Reaction score
They could have done a beefier job with the appearance of the cross bars where they connect to the walls.
Maybe with a visible bolt.
What they have looks like a wall-mounted flag holder.

NY Times Building NYC:

Last edited:

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I hope it’s faster than every 3 weeks per floor or else we are going to be watching this get built for a long time yet. Should be closer to 1 week.

covid likely threw a wrench in it as well as the transfer of floor plate size which usually slows things down.