Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

North-East corner of the residential portion of the project - by Wellington Street and the parking garage driveway of 401 Wellington, there is a section of the basement with a very thick rebar nest - six to seven feet deep. Presumably for a transfer slab section - but it seems to be in a strange location, plus it is only a portion of the overall area. It is at the top of the driveway ramp from the basement floor below.

A couple of workers can actually be seen inside the rebar nest, by the perimeter wall.

IMG_20190708_143312.jpg

IMG_20190708_143254.jpg

At the end of the day, as a resident, you should be happy with this project - as it makes your neighbourhood that much more attractive to potential buyers - increasing your property value.

Thanks for going on a tangent. I never said I’m not happy with the outcome of this project. I’m not happy with the disruption caused by the construction.
I was just asking if anyone knows when construction will be complete.

From what I understand, the office tower should be substantially complete and being occupied in late 2021, with the commercial and residential areas all done sometime in 2023.

Thanks for going on a tangent. I never said I’m not happy with the outcome of this project. I’m not happy with the disruption caused by the construction.
I was just asking if anyone knows when construction will be complete.
You should be lucky not to live anywhere near Eglinton, but when Line 5 Eglinton is complete, it will be well worth it.

Toronto is undergoing the largest construction boom from all the cities in the Western World. Construction projects like the Well really shows that the city planners, developers and public in general have matured enough to demand high quality projects. The 2020's will be a golden era for Toronto construction projects. The last remaining parking lots in the core will get build over and under-utilized lots will be re purposed. And by the end of 2020's, Toronto will emerge as the 2nd city of North America. Only New York will be ahead in terms of cosmopolitan nature.

Toronto is undergoing the largest construction boom from all the cities in the Western World. Construction projects like the Well really shows that the city planners, developers and public in general have matured enough to demand high quality projects. The 2020's will be a golden era for Toronto construction projects. The last remaining parking lots in the core will get build over and under-utilized lots will be re purposed. And by the end of 2020's, Toronto will emerge as the 2nd city of North America. Only New York will be ahead in terms of cosmopolitan nature.
I would agree that there are many extremely sophisticated projects going up in Toronto, but I would still say that infrastructural issues will hold the city back as they've always had- yet these may drive new unexpected opportunities in Toronto that occur nowhere.

Some places will be as dense as, or even denser than New York, but without the transportation infrastructure to support it- what will happen? Will we see a giant biking boom in the downtown core? Pedestrians overcrowding the streets (forcing changes)? A gradual expansion of the transitways along the streetcar routes? The dissolving of the CBD as more offices buildings pop up throughout the core? Will it foster a new street culture and vendor culture? An awakening of a civic consciousness in Toronto? There's lots of grounds-up opportunities out there, IMO.

I would say that Toronto will be a top 5 city in North America if it isn't already- it still doesn't have the cultural impact of New York or Los Angeles, but it does punch pretty well for a city of its size.

It absolutely is top 5. Maybe #5 if you count Mexico in North America, but top 5. What could possibly be "better"? NYC, LA, Mexico City, Chicago?

Toronto's overwhelming growth rate is what is continuing to propel it. Toronto gained 140,000 people in it's metro area in 2018 - NYC actually lost 30,000.

Chicago is our biggest "competitor" - but with its stagnating population I fully expect Toronto to skyrocket past it in the next two decades. Toronto's metro population should surpass it in about 20 years at current rates, The greater economic shed is probably already larger.. Cultural importance is probably similar if not greater in Toronto with its stance as the head city of Canada.

Transportation is a big issue for sure, but it is in every fast growing city. If the government can actually start building the new downtown subway things may get better, but it's easy to forget the amount of other transportation improvements coming in the next little while too. The infrastructure problem is well recognized - it's just the kind of problem that takes decades to see improvements on.

Agreed, transit is a problem, and not one unique to Toronto. NYC sure isn't building anything of significance, nor is Chicago. Only LA and Mexico City are really working on their networks at this time.

Back