Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Pics taken Nov 20, 2018

ZNXy8W8.jpg

X1xALXM.jpg

5zFdt6P.jpg

UqlOgtU.jpg

q0Z8WxH.jpg

This is a very exiting project. This little corner of downtown has always felt like the hinterland. Desolate and wind blown. This will bring make it a destination. Having said that the intersection of Front and Spadina is very busy and tricky to manoeuvre. I drove through yesterday and noticed pedestrians waiting on the corners and they looked a little worried. It looks dangerous for pedestrians with cars zipping everywhere.. Will this be addressed somehow?

This is a very exiting project. This little corner of downtown has always felt like the hinterland. Desolate and wind blown. This will bring make it a destination. Having said that the intersection of Front and Spadina is very busy and tricky to manoeuvre. I drove through yesterday and noticed pedestrians waiting on the corners and they looked a little worried. It looks dangerous for pedestrians with cars zipping everywhere.. Will this be addressed somehow?
How? It is a very busy intersection with a streetcar track plus wide roads and vehicles making many turns. Not easy to see how it can be greatly improved. (Though it is certainly not very good now!)

Can you still not cross the street on the south side of Front?

no, I don't believe you can. Nor at Bremner.

My understanding though is that Cressy got approval for those pedestrian movements under the previous council, they just haven't been implemented yet.

I walk by/through it every evening on the way home from work. It is a nightmare in terms of time, if you want to get from the NE corner to the SW corner and just missed the lights then it take a while but I always kill some time time by peaking through to look at progress on the well!

It isn't really any more or less dangerous that any other busy/awkward intersection but the things I have noticed that are dangerous:

• Cars making right turn on red light on to Spadina from Front when there is a clear sign saying do not do this
  • Cars turning West on Front from Spadina when there is not enough room to do so - I have seen it the odd time where it is so bad they block the southbound streetcar track
  • Pedestrians running across the road and streetcar tracks on the south side of Spadina
I think pedestrians and motorists just get frustrated here with the length of time it takes for them to navigate the intersection which leads them to do stupid things. One thing I do not envy is being stuck in that traffic though. It is AWLAYS completely backed up from Bremner to Front

I walk by/through it every evening on the way home from work. It is a nightmare in terms of time, if you want to get from the NE corner to the SW corner and just missed the lights then it take a while but I always kill some time time by peaking through to look at progress on the well!

It isn't really any more or less dangerous that any other busy/awkward intersection but the things I have noticed that are dangerous:

• Cars making right turn on red light on to Spadina from Front when there is a clear sign saying do not do this
  • Cars turning West on Front from Spadina when there is not enough room to do so - I have seen it the odd time where it is so bad they block the southbound streetcar track
  • Pedestrians running across the road and streetcar tracks on the south side of Spadina
I think pedestrians and motorists just get frustrated here with the length of time it takes for them to navigate the intersection which leads them to do stupid things. One thing I do not envy is being stuck in that traffic though. It is AWLAYS completely backed up from Bremner to Front
It's because the ONLY way to access the Gardiner on ramp at spadina is to be travelling southbound on Spadina.. And it is one of only three on ramps in the central downtown, and the last on ramp during rush hour before Etobicoke. Eastbound Gardiner on ramps allow for more turning movements and there isn't nearly as much of a gap in access ramps as there is in the westbound direction.

Honestly if the city could manage to even just open the Jameson On Ramp during rush hour I think a lot of bottlenecking that occurs in the downtown would lighten up pretty significantly.

It's because the ONLY way to access the Gardiner on ramp at spadina is to be travelling southbound on Spadina.. And it is one of only three on ramps in the central downtown, and the last on ramp during rush hour before Etobicoke. Eastbound Gardiner on ramps allow for more turning movements and there isn't nearly as much of a gap in access ramps as there is in the westbound direction.

Honestly if the city could manage to even just open the Jameson On Ramp during rush hour I think a lot of bottlenecking that occurs in the downtown would lighten up pretty significantly.
That onramp at Jameson has virtually no merge room at the bottom, hence its closure at rush hour. Anyway, driving around at rush hour is a lost cause generally, and our focus needs to be on improving transit, cyclist, and pedestrian mobility. A lot more of that will be needed here as The Well becomes a large draw, so better crossings of Spadina will become a necessity, and not just at this one corner. As part of the GO station construction, they will have to build below-ground connections to the streetcar platforms in the middle of Spadina, and the tunnel to access them from the west should be built all the way to the east side of Spadina as well: new construction at 400 Front will just compound the existing need for it.

The City also needs to get a pedestrian and cyclist bridge built across Spadina to connect up the two sides of South Linear Park beside the Gardner as well.

Last edited:
Nov 20
Lot more up on site

Building F will see its first section of grade concrete pour this week.

Digging a nice deep hole below the final grade bottom to the west. The weather is pushing the completion of removing all the dirt for the site and looks like it will be 2019 before it is done.
44176422870_21e01a4d77_b.jpg

44176425220_4f0a3fc18a_b.jpg

45942921882_7e37e76ea0_b.jpg

45992346181_8a68d6d3ea_b.jpg

45942924312_841ec45132_b.jpg

45992349671_1e690703f1_b.jpg

45942925452_8bd4bf5c85_b.jpg

45942928372_6c5b53a7f1_b.jpg

45942930772_9bbe67f8ff_b.jpg

45942932162_db7a6c1cf6_b.jpg

45992356441_1c394df408_b.jpg

45942935142_36f8ed408d_b.jpg

45992357311_aa31fb3412_b.jpg

45992359141_0460e9d343_b.jpg

44176437180_567569a7cf_b.jpg

44176437770_8727bb1871_b.jpg

I just want to say that the scale of this dig has never been represented even close to its grandeur in any of the pictures I've seen. If you haven't visited this site in person, you must! It is such a sight to behold in real life... That is, if you are just as big of a construction geek as some of us here.

Back