Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

That looks amazing!!! (See below.) Would hardly cost anything more for the developer and looks absolutely stunning. That's all the detail it needed to look "complete". Ah well.
4996887288_f2b5e41780_b.jpg

(Original from Mike in TO. http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.p...o-St-Pemberton-48s-Burka)&p=442030#post442030 )

... (and thereby accentuating its verticality...[yeah, I made that word up])

Citizen, you honestly believe you made up the word verticality?

I was dealing in verticality, bat-scaling skyscrapers, long before you had that flight of fancy.

Uptown has as much character as a fast food burger. If it was "steak", I'd expect to would be clad in real stone, not precast.

What I hate the most is how the first reaction tend to be "it looks so Manhattan". So much for building character in Toronto.

So your argument is that City Place is giving Toronto character? God save us.

First, there are many things about Manhattan that are worthy of praise - Art deco buildings top the list.

Second, cladding a building in stone is pretty much cost prohibitive these days and precast can provide a good alternative if done right.

Go stand at Front and Spadina and look again. There is a field of buildings all clad with the same glass and spandrel. In ten years or so we will be refering to this cluster of buildings much the same way we now refer to St. James Town - Ughh.

Last edited:
Uptown from Charles Street

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I like dt's shots ^^^. the first one really shows the setbacks at work. this at least sets it apart from a lot of the towers in the yonge/bloor area.

Thanks Dt - that first shot is amazing - I really like this building - it has such presence and character, far more than just another glass box.

I guess the one thing I can say about this building is that it would probably look pretty good in the night. During the day though, it is just too easy to spot the cheap-outs on details and materials that really make it a cut below the buildings of the past that inspired it.
Oh well. I'll just get my camera ready for 11pm.

I guess the one thing I can say about this building is that it would probably look pretty good in the night. During the day though, it is just too easy to spot the cheap-outs on details and materials that really make it a cut below the buildings of the past that inspired it.
Oh well. I'll just get my camera ready for 11pm.

It'll look good if they illuminate the setbacks at night by placing little spot lights on them....

Great render, Traynor. It's amazing how much better that looks with just some minor changes - this building could have been amazing. As it stands it looks awkward and flat. Interesting how a forumer on a website understands aesthetics better than a trained architect who designs skyscrapers.

Great render, Traynor. It's amazing how much better that looks with just some minor changes - this building could have been amazing. As it stands it looks awkward and flat. Interesting how a forumer on a website understands aesthetics better than a trained architect who designs skyscrapers.

Agreed!

Can we please bring back Art Deco architecture?
Like.. REAL Art Deco?

Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, GE Building..
All incredible, it'd be amazing if Toronto's first 1000+ footer was Art Deco!

I'm afraid developers don't have enough pride in what they build anymore to even consider cladding buildings in real stone, and hiring craftsmen to etch designs into it through intensive work. They want to build things for as cheap as they possibly can. If there was sort of an Art Deco Revival phase, Toronto better damn well get on top of it.

And Traynor.... you're a genius. Please forward that 50000000 times to the developer right now and they'll be forced to change their design plan seeing what potential this building could have. Now please excuse me while I bash my head into the wall a few times. You've got me angry LOL.

Last edited:

Back