Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

Balconies are a selling feature. Most buyers want a balcony therefore it's easier to sell units with them. Plus, balconies are considered an amenity area and counted towards the total amount that must be provided.

Balconies do not count towards municipality mandated outdoor amenity space.

Right. The point of amenity space is to have space that everyone in the building can use, outside the apartments. Balconies don't qualify.

I wonder why... it's only brick and concrete. Why do we suck so much now?

I'd say there's more to it than that. There are a lot of fine details that would take money to create...money developers don't want to spend. Materials of that quality would cost more too.

Balconies do not count towards municipality mandated outdoor amenity space.

Right. The point of amenity space is to have space that everyone in the building can use, outside the apartments. Balconies don't qualify.

I guess the zoning examiner in Vaughan who said balconies are included in the calculation of amenity area is wrong, which I used as my reference source. (Then again it's Vaughan I am referring to, and the zoning examiner did contradict the "amenity area" definition in the zoning by-law, which states "the space outside a dwelling unit...").

Thank you for correcting me.

I'd say there's more to it than that. There are a lot of fine details that would take money to create...money developers don't want to spend. Materials of that quality would cost more too.

Well, what allowed the developers of that time to spend money on such fine details and material in abundance that prevents their modern counterparts from doing so today?

Well, what allowed the developers of that time to spend money on such fine details and material in abundance that prevents their modern counterparts from doing so today?

A developer can utilize whatever materials the commercial client wants or in the case of residential whatever the market will allow. The average middle-income condo purchaser doesn't have tens of thousands of extra dollars to spend on limestone cladding with hand crafted details unless it is a very very high-end development - which the Uptown is not. There is a significant cost difference between pre-cast and limestone.

It isn't the developer that pays for the cladding at the end of the day, every last penny is passed onto the end user - affordability is always a concern unless it's a super luxury building.

With respect to this project specifically, my understanding is that the podium will have black granite facing onto Bulmato street and precast cladding on the tower portion.

Concrete can be quite beautiful, depending on colour and texture. And just take a look at the south side of the Sony Centre fly tower and you'll see that stone can discolour terribly with age.

In general though, stone ages much better than concrete. Dirty old stone buildings still look charming, while stains on concrete just make it look shabby, not to mention that concrete crumbles. With respect to the Uptown, I hope that the precast cladding is kept simple. If done well, it could look something like the Rockefeller Center:

rockefeller_center_amcrmar07_15.jpg

If they put French Quarter style phoney decorations and details, it may look more like this:

richmond.jpg

Though the funny thing is, in this age of PoMo-Deco-retro backlash and trendy worship of Koolhaasian futuristic fantasies, there might be a certain school of thought that'd prefer flashbacks to Rockefeller's Folly than to Rockefeller Center...

380585160_8316a94fe2.jpg

I thought my eyes were deceiving me this afternoon, but most definitely there are two very close tower cranes ready for action. One crane has the Pemberton branding and the other crane has the Bazis branding. This site is going to be very interesting to watch.

What would you say? 60 feet? 70 feet apart?

The first two pics are jumbo sized panoramas. (Posted on the Crystal Blu thread as well.)

The crane off in the distance in between the two foreground cranes is the BSN crane.

Cool, but slightly insane!
I was beginning to think that once Uptown got above ground the crane for Blu would go in as I was thinking the site was too tight for two cranes. Silly me!

Back