Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

I actually like this building. It could be better, but its not terrible.

It looks great in this photo on the Four Seasons website for their new hotel:

cq5dam.web.1280.720.jpeg

I know this one isn't uptown, but I love how Yorkville looks in this pic:

cq5dam.web.1280.720.jpeg

Interesting that one picture show neo-deco done incredibly well (One St Thomas) and the other show it done less than perfectly (Uptown). I agree though, Uptown is not a bad building, but could've been that much better with just a few small changes and additions.

Interesting that one picture show neo-deco done incredibly well (One St Thomas) and the other show it done less than perfectly (Uptown). I agree though, Uptown is not a bad building, but could've been that much better with just a few small changes and additions.

I agree. There is no doubt that it could have been better, however it is not a bad building.

I agree. There is no doubt that it could have been better, however it is not a bad building.

It's pretty bad. They have the massing potential for a deco building, they had the original crown for a deco building, but they went completely cheap and ruined it. I forget who but somebody posted a while back a photoshop they did showing how even a slight change could make it look so much better by adding dark stone/detail under the windows. It was something that really wouldn't have cost much more money, but made the building look 100x better.

You can't expect much from Pemberton though. Look at their past projects. Nothing iconic at all. They just build buildings. Period.

I really like the top of 'Uptown' and think the building adds a very stylish 'Echo Deco' addition to the skyline. However I do think 'Uptown' fails at the base. Rather like a top model forgot her shoes and decided to wear cheap sneakers with her Versace gown.

I don't think there's anything sharp about this building. It's a complete failure IMO. If you're going to do art deco. Do it right!

I actually just bought a unit from the builder in the Uptown. I know that the building has been panned by most people on this forum. However, I like the building, I think the simple design will age well enough. Another thing, the building has some large spaces, the one we bought is 1860 sq. ft and has an additional 145 sq ft of outdoor terrace space. The large units are one thing that it has going for it for sure and one of the reasons that we decided to take the plunge to go back to living in a condo. It was challenging to find a condo with this much space near Yonge and Bloor that didn't cost an arm and a leg. The layout gives us three different exposures and good finishes.

Last edited:

Back