Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

`
uptownfar.jpg

I know that angle! I took a picture from almost the exact same spot a few months ago, I was struck by the way Uptown was framed by those two buildings.

My picture has less depth and an overcast sky though.

410px-Uptown_Residences_crop.JPG

Last edited:
That photo puts the building in quite a good light. Still could have been better, but from that angle it looks tolerable.

It's only because androiduk took it, his talent and camera lens combined can make a burning pile of rubbish look great. See it in person, walk around and evaluate it.

I know that angle! I took a picture from almost the exact same spot a few months ago, I was struck by the way Uptown was framed by those two buildings.

My picture has less depth and an overcast sky though.

Very cool... I think you were both standing in the exact same place too. Compare where the roof of Uptown is in relation to the top of the roof of the building to the right and where the left edge of Uptown meets the tree in both pictures. They are virtually identical. I think Androiduk was just using a wider lens. I'd be curious to know what the focal length was for each of your photos.

On the contrary, I hope this frightens future developers from attempting anything even remotely similar. Now everybody is aware of just how devastating the results of an attempt at Deco are in the 21st century (and on a 21st century condo budget especially).

To the contrary, if you look not 3 blocks away from Uptown you see a great example of Deco-Revival (1 St. Thomas), which I believe if you told people it was built in the 30's/40's most people (besides huge architecture buffs) would believe you.

I love Deco and would love to see it come back to a degree, you just need to not cheapen out like they did with this one.

??

I cant remember the name of it, but theres that new faux deco/gothic beast along the lake to the west, and no one seems to have the hate-on for that as they do for Uptown. As I have not seen them up close, is the execution better out there? ...or is it just easier to ignore out there??:confused:

I cant remember the name of it, but theres that new faux deco/gothic beast along the lake to the west, and no one seems to have the hate-on for that as they do for Uptown. As I have not seen them up close, is the execution better out there? ...or is it just easier to ignore out there??:confused:

West Harbour City? That project has much more attention to detail, texture and colour than Uptown.

West Harbour City? That project has much more attention to detail, texture and colour than Uptown.
I also think west Harbour City is way better fine-detail-wise. Too bad we couldnt have something with the details of WHC, But with the height and shape/setbacks of Uptown residences. Personally i think the setbacks on WHC are a bit overdone, but the color, texture and fine details are by far superior to uptownres.

I think some exterior paint can rescue it to a degree. There should be darker tones between the windows creating the vertical lines that art deco towers normally create, and even some very simple relief details to accentuate windows and balconies on certain floors would help also. I haven't seen it at ground level yet, but don't hate it as much as some - though I agree it stops short of being an appealing building.

was in the lobby the other day, and it's actually quite nice - lots of art deco detailing, quality seemed pretty high...I asked the concierge if they were going to install any external lighting on the building, but he had no idea...

Back