Toronto The Selby | 165.5m | 50s | Tricon | bKL Architecture

I'm seeing red! (or reddish brown)
Sorry, a little out of focus but gives a better impression of the colour than the last photo which suffers from some glare with the shiny brick.

We got a winner! A nice rich shade without going all the way fake terracotta (365, I am looking at you). I would be happy if more TO projects move towards this direction (Southcore/LBCO...nudge nudge)

AoD

We got a winner! A nice rich shade without going all the way fake terracotta (365, I am looking at you). I would be happy if more TO projects move towards this direction (Southcore/LBCO...nudge nudge)

AoD
Hahaha, for goodness sake this is still in its infancy, lets have a wait and see approach before drooling all over it

Looks like an Indian or rustic red coloured brick very nice ! I was wondering about the rectangle brick slabs. Are they only going to be a budded vertically not horizontally against the windows? Because I see a white rectangle slab running in a horizontal manner below each window.

Those slabs look like they may be part of a transfer slab? They're only present on the one floor below where the brick panels start

Those slabs look like they may be part of a transfer slab? They're only present on the one floor below where the brick panels start

Yes ! I can see what you talking about. I noticed the notch on the lower part of the vertical brick slab the horizontal bricks slab will connect to in the pictures seen above.

From just now. Definitely a raspberry tone. No sign of the black brick for the podium though
IMG_5266.JPG
IMG_5267.JPG
IMG_5268.JPG
IMG_5269.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5266.JPG
    IMG_5266.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 502
  • IMG_5267.JPG
    IMG_5267.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 457
  • IMG_5268.JPG
    IMG_5268.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 430
  • IMG_5269.JPG
    IMG_5269.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 449
Must have just missed you @stjames2queenwest !

Decided to have another look, after getting my camera fixed. They've also started installing on the sunny side on the SW corner. Photographing in bright sunshine with dark contrasting shadows is always a challenge, as seen by the first pic. The shadowed portion is not nearly as dark as depicted, although the sunny portion is pretty accurate. Love the varied and warmish brick tones.

Selby-1.jpg

Selby-2.jpg

Selby-3.jpg

Facing SE...

Selby-4.jpg

Selby-5.jpg

A reasonably accurate depiction in the shadows. Rich. Gorgeous.

Selby-7.jpg

123 feet taller than 561 Sherbourne...the Selby should stand out nicely in this cluster as seen from Riverdale Park (including that rich vertical slash of auburn red. It should glow in the morning sun). Pretty sure that's the crane peeking up just left of the Four Seasons.

Selby-8.jpg

Selby-9.jpg

Attachments

• Selby-1.jpg
    Selby-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 411
  • Selby-2.jpg
    Selby-2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 442
  • Selby-3.jpg
    Selby-3.jpg
    989.3 KB · Views: 402
  • Selby-4.jpg
    Selby-4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 451
  • Selby-5.jpg
    Selby-5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 427
  • Selby-7.jpg
    Selby-7.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 405
  • Selby-8.jpg
    Selby-8.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 459
  • Selby-9.jpg
    Selby-9.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 437
Maybe splitting hairs (and acknowledging I haven't yet seen it in-person), I was hoping for a brighter red tone, closer to what is depicted in the renderings. What I've seen in the pics from the last couple days looks much deeper/more purple, not entirely dissimilar from the precast going up on City of the Arts.

Still, definitely a positive contribution to the skyline.

Maybe splitting hairs (and acknowledging I haven't yet seen it in-person), I was hoping for a brighter red tone, closer to what is depicted in the renderings. What I've seen in the pics from the last couple days looks much deeper/more purple, not entirely dissimilar from the precast going up on City of the Arts.

Still, definitely a positive contribution to the skyline.

Ya same here, happy with this by all means, but I was kind of hoping that blank walled corner area would be a bit more like that cladding on that recently completed tower along the south side of the gardiner down by fort york its name is escaping me. I know some people were not fans of the red cladding on it, but I love how bold the colour is, and was hoping for something a bit more in your face here.
But this looks like it will be bold and classy, so I certainly wouldnt say I feel let down. Its definitely not a boring colour, or cheap like 365.

Agreed - that bright red cladding is gorgeous as you approach on the Gardiner from the West. A welcome slash of colour.

Still, it's a nice enough red the Selby's got going on. Should look distinctive and, as has been noted, when the morning sun illuminates it the effect could be glorious.

Back