Toronto The Selby | 165.5m | 50s | Tricon | bKL Architecture

This is what happens when you get an outside firm to design something. It's creative, it's innovative, it's different.

No balconies = A+
Brick = A+
Colour! = A+

Well, it's a purpose built rental, so there's no pressure to appeal to investors who require a balcony/don't care if the building is 50 shades of grey.

There have been buildings with recessed balconies over the years: this one isn't an indication of a new trend.

How long will it take to top this high rise up. I haven't seen a skyscraper go up that isn't blue, green or white and black in years in the downtown core!

Precast with a brick face is not uncommon in Toronto either. It could go either way too depending on the brick selection. RafBig is involved in that selection.

Here are some extra shots from this morning that didn't make it into the story:
IMG_4261.JPG
IMG_4262.JPG
IMG_4270.JPG
IMG_4272.JPG
IMG_4274.JPG
IMG_4287.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4261.JPG
    IMG_4261.JPG
    859.5 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_4262.JPG
    IMG_4262.JPG
    1,023.8 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_4270.JPG
    IMG_4270.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 380
  • IMG_4272.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    969.3 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_4274.JPG
    IMG_4274.JPG
    829.1 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_4287.JPG
    IMG_4287.JPG
    865.3 KB · Views: 493
The mansion was moved way too close to the street, no? Shouldn't it be at the same set-back as James Cooper?

Part of the rationale for moving it so close to the street—aside from making more room for the tower—was to bring in a retail space fronting Sherbourne.
Compared to James Cooper (which, as @Tuscani01 points out, isn't that set-back either), the hope is that the historic frontage will do a bit more to engage the street and invite people in, with a possible cafe or some-such.

I was surprised by how close to the street they brought it as well, but I think it was a good decision it really has presence. The intersection feels very "grand" now. I suspect that by the time the 3 other nearby projects are done this will be a very exciting and urban spot. Sherbourne has a lot of neglected, but beautiful houses, I am glad that some of them are getting a new life.

Back