Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

So on the bright side all these new glass condos will be considered historical in 70-100 years, and not ghetto commie blocks as many people seem to suggest.

Well, there are those Micallef types (among others out there) who'd already make such a claim on behalf of St James Town and its like...

Amexon must have low expectations because Core can do way better than this crap. I'd like to see a redesign of the tower portion to something more distinct and refined.

Last edited:
So on the bright side all these new glass condos will be considered historical in 70-100 years, and not ghetto commie blocks as many people seem to suggest.

No, unfortunately there is no bright side. We will have lost architectural layering in exchange for buildings that never had any character, charm, or weightiness in the first place.

Last edited:
Back then they didn't consider what is now ''historical buildings'' really beautiful.

A lot of what we consider beuatiful is what is rare. Back then, historical pre-war architecture wasn't rare but there wasn't much stock (because historic buildings were built at a time when the city was much smaller) and we tore so much of it down that it became rare. This building, with its unique concrete ornamentation, is rare. Glass-and-spandrel condo boxes are not rare. In fact, given the amount of these that we've pumped out over the last 20 years I don't think they'll even be rare in 50 years.

Looks like they are serious about this one.

480 UNIVERSITY AVE
Site Plan Approval 13 118502 STE 20 SA Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Feb 11, 2013 --- --- --- ---
Proposal to add 37 stories to existing 18 storey building with below grade parking. This proposal will add 38,714.88m2 of residential space to the existing 25,816.63m2 of office and 490.00m2 of retail.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I'm hoping for a new canyon to form on the widest street downtown. It should also allow for a beefier looking skyline when viewing from the southwest.

It should also allow for a beefier looking skyline when viewing from the southwest.

I don't understand this lionization of "beefy" skylines. As urban sensibilities go, it's like Ayn Rand as filtered through Tom Of Finland.

When it comes to the sensuality of urban form, some of you are spending too much metaphorical time on Grindr.

I don't understand this lionization of "beefy" skylines. As urban sensibilities go, it's like Ayn Rand as filtered through Tom Of Finland.

And what is the issue with that. Surely in a nation like Canada, the desire for the polar opposite of virgin wilderness shouldn't be much of a surprise. We have an appreciation and affection for wide open spaces, but also covet the monumentality and permanence of the metropolis.

And what is the issue with that. Surely in a nation like Canada, the desire for the polar opposite of virgin wilderness shouldn't be much of a surprise. We have an appreciation and affection for wide open spaces, but also covet the monumentality and permanence of the metropolis.

It's the word "beefy". Thus my Tom Of Finland point: an oppressive urban homoeroticism.

As I see it, seek "beefy" and ye shall wind up with "cheesy", instead

I think you're really reaching here. Adding residential here should help enliven the area

Adma's only commenting on the sexualized language that's fetishizing the skyline in rpeters' post. Not much more than that.

Back