Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

That looks outstanding. I'm curious to know how much more expensive good glass like that is compared to the lower-end fare that goes into most condos. It must be significant, otherwise everyone would use this stuff.

Yea! nice blue green mirrored glass. I see it everywhere around the city. What would of looked great if they restored and place back the old concrete facade with this mirrored glass look. That would really make this building stand out on University Ave. Preserving the 50 year old structure the right way!

What a difference the abstract black mullion pattern makes in terms of breaking up the curtain wall facade. Despite the fact that the glazing is uniform on all four sides, in a subtle way, it tricks the mind into thinking that it isn't. It's a nice design choice, given its surroundings, where a more plain glass wall might have given a lifeless impression. IMO, RCMI and its pattern, is on the other end of the spectrum.

Yea! nice blue green mirrored glass. I see it everywhere around the city. What would of looked great if they restored and place back the old concrete facade with this mirrored glass look. That would really make this building stand out on University Ave. Preserving the 50 year old structure the right way!

That certainly would be an interesting proposition. I wonder if the benefits of more natural lighting into the building was the driving factor versus a pure cost play. Anyone know if this building will be closer to "Class A" once complete?

How exactly do you restore crumbling precast concrete?

No, this "quality" is not as common with 99% of the towers being window wall condos. That said, I'm not too impressed. Lots of spandrel glass. Rather dated approach to hide the structure and plenum space.

You say icon building, other say ugly precast that's falling apart, provides shitty views and poor daylighting inside the building. To each their own.

There are a number of brutalist structures in the city that I appreciate, this one was never one of them. I specifically remember coming to Toronto as a child and this particular building standing out in my mind as being ugly. I thought it was a prison for evil businessmen.

With new precast concrete designed in the same mold?

More recreation and not really restoration. I'm more of the opinion to let a design bow out gracefully at such a point in time than to further confuse recreation with heritage preservation. We have far too much of it in Toronto already.

IMG_0603.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,321

Back