Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

i'm not a pro here, but could the added residential floors be added where the mechanical rooms are and then the mechanical areas buried between floors? It would look worse in my opinion but is that an option or just not possible?

You might be onto something here. If you look at the mechanical levels (zones), which are sandwiched between the residential floors, they are quite a bit taller than the original proposal. They could conceivably be inserting an additional floor into each of the mechanical zones, which would give them 8 additional floors...maybe one of the mechanical zones is substantially oversized for future proofing/access - allowing them to squeeze 2 floors in? Mechanical is notorious for oversizing their respective spaces, in order to make their jobs easier. If they (mechanical) had their way, this tower would only have 20 floors dedicated to residential uses, with the remainder being mechanical rooms and service spaces ;).

I believe that was One King West https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_King_West_Hotel_&_Residence " Each suite in the hotel is individually owned, but the profits are shared amongst suite owners who have placed their suites in the hotel pool. Similar projects are usually seen in resort towns. The individual owners of the units in the building financed the purchase of the common assets of the hotel and now control the company that manages the hotel operations "
As an owner in One King, I can confirm this to be true. We have done extremely well the past number of years, then Covid hit.................

There are other things to consider as well with this addition of 9 floors:
  • Is the current design able to handle the increased loads associated with a 10% increase in height? Structural, wind, etc.
  • The number of elevators to reliably service the extra floors. There would be a fire requirement to how many occupants a single elevator can service.
  • All the additional amenities and services (gas, water, electricity, etc) for these extra floors.
  • The fact that the elevators are probably already being manufactured at the current height. The increased height would necessitate a substantial redesign.
I don't see this happening unless they started this design knowing they'd have a height increase in the works. As in, they have a second set of designs for the building with the increased height that they can switch to if needed.

To be fair the original hanger design render did have an extra 2 hanger sections above the current top hanger section but if I'm remembering correctly, the 2 hangers were removed due to shadow concerns. Let me go see if I can dig that original render up.

Is the proposal for the additional storeys being done through a minor variance application and are the materials on AIC? I missed post where this revision became public.

Adding residential floors above and below mechanical floors not a big issue. Adding residential units to mechanical floors at this point in construction is not going to happen. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful tower so I wouldn't mind more height. Being a little more sober this morning maybe as others suggested we've got an encrypted planing application for a hotel to res conversion. For the height zealots on this site I hope not...:)

Should this represent an increase in height; and be approved, it will also trigger additional section 37 Benefits; and if subject to the alternate rate for parkland dedication might also trigger section 42 again.

Assuming the increase benefits mirrored the increase in unit count, we'd be looking about a 20% increase in the previous package; the increase in height is less; but there's also inflation to factor in..........

77731B1F-FCDB-477F-98E6-AC493570AC74.jpeg

This can go up relatively fast from this point on. The complex foundations and first floor are behind us. The super columns are pre-fab’d. Drop them in place, put up scaffolding and lay iron for the floor above, pour and move onto the next. A few floors a week?

Back