Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

That was my first thought too - but the non-res GFA in the new application is the more or less the same as the non-res GFA in the set of SPA documents dated April 2020. (17,669m2 vs 17,662m2)

Bloor.png
I'm reading the new description such that there is no longer non-res GFA. It will all be res GFA of 85,664m2

Would anyone be surprised if Sam wanted 9 extra stories to push this back above skytower for tallest in TO.

Also someone already pointed out the variance in the latest render. Could that be related?

And they already announced the hotel tenant - it would be odd to back out on that now given that the ink has clearly already dried on that agreement. It may indeed be extra height.

Not only that, but there will be a whole bunch of additional changes to the floor plates, circulation elements (among other things) if the hotel portion is gone - and they will have to happen fast since construction is reaching those hotel floors.

AoD

My guess...conversion of hotel rooms to rental apartments. Fairly easy conversion to make and still leave the infrastructure of the building in tact. (separate entrances, services etc.).

Signed tenant or not, obviously the hospitality business is going to not be what it was for the next 2 to 4 years. Given the change in market circumstances, the tenant could have exercised an out clause.

if the average residential story is 14 feet (near 4 meters) and they are adding 9 new residential floors ( near 36 meters) then the new total height may be 308 + 36 which is 344 meters??

if the average residential story is 14 feet (near 4 meters) and they are adding 9 new residential floors ( near 36 meters) then the new total height may be 308 + 36 which is 344 meters??
Where are you getting that average residential floor height from? because it's way too high

I've been throwing around some numbers in my head. Profit on 9 extra floors on top assuming $2500-3000 per square foot with 30% net profit over build cost would roughly cover 12 months delay costs with my estimates of current incurred debt servicing, extra manpower and rentals. Just saying...

Last edited:
storeys at 3.2m luxury res floor heights would push the height here to about
My guess...conversion of hotel rooms to rental apartments. Fairly easy conversion to make and still leave the infrastructure of the building in tact. (separate entrances, services etc.).

Signed tenant or not, obviously the hospitality business is going to not be what it was for the next 2 to 4 years. Given the change in market circumstances, the tenant could have exercised an out clause.
good thing the hotel isn't opening for another 2-4 years. It's not like it's opening tomorrow - the hotel environment in 2023 or 2024 when it actually opens will be much better than today. Besides, as others have said, the non-res GFA is the same as before. It's not converting non-res space.

With adjacent applications at Bay St. now shooting for taller my bet is that Mizrahi now thinks he can get a bit more height and needs the extra profits because of the construction delays. The only other way to accommodate it would be to shrink ceiling heights of the res portions to fit it within the existing envelope, which I don't really see happening this late in the game, especially for so many additional floors.

Adding 9 storeys of luxury res floors, at 3-3.2m slab to slab would result in a height of about 335-337m here. Pretty much right on the 1,100ft mark.

Last edited:

Back