Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Whatever it is, let's hope it doesn't cause any further delays to this project. It's moving along at a nice tick currently...

There are other things to consider as well with this addition of 9 floors:
  • Is the current design able to handle the increased loads associated with a 10% increase in height? Structural, wind, etc.
  • The number of elevators to reliably service the extra floors. There would be a fire requirement to how many occupants a single elevator can service.
  • All the additional amenities and services (gas, water, electricity, etc) for these extra floors.
  • The fact that the elevators are probably already being manufactured at the current height. The increased height would necessitate a substantial redesign.
I don't see this happening unless they started this design knowing they'd have a height increase in the works. As in, they have a second set of designs for the building with the increased height that they can switch to if needed.

To be fair the original hanger design render did have an extra 2 hanger sections above the current top hanger section but if I'm remembering correctly, the 2 hangers were removed due to shadow concerns. Let me go see if I can dig that original render up.

There are other things to consider as well with this addition of 9 floors:
  • Is the current design able to handle the increased loads associated with a 10% increase in height? Structural, wind, etc.
  • The number of elevators to reliably service the extra floors. There would be a fire requirement to how many occupants a single elevator can service.
  • All the additional amenities and services (gas, water, electricity, etc) for these extra floors.
  • The fact that the elevators are probably already being manufactured at the current height. The increased height would necessitate a substantial redesign.
I don't see this happening unless they started this design knowing they'd have a height increase in the works. As in, they have a second set of designs for the building with the increased height that they can switch to if needed.

To be fair the original hanger design render did have an extra 2 hanger sections above the current top hanger section but if I'm remembering correctly, the 2 hangers were removed due to shadow concerns. Let me go see if I can dig that original render up.

Found something to substantiate my last point regarding the extra 2 hanger sections in the older renders. But they do have 12 floors and not 9 floors like the new proposal. This is from the diagram on Skyscraperpage by @Koops65. The design was changed shortly after that to what we have currently. The height of the older, taller design is around 341m vs the current 308.6m.
1608756322437.png
1608756881805.png

Attachments

• 1608756659377.png
    1608756659377.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 1608756859223.png
    1608756859223.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 138
My guess...conversion of hotel rooms to rental apartments. Fairly easy conversion to make and still leave the infrastructure of the building in tact. (separate entrances, services etc.).

Signed tenant or not, obviously the hospitality business is going to not be what it was for the next 2 to 4 years. Given the change in market circumstances, the tenant could have exercised an out clause.

If my memory serves me correctly, several years back there was a high profile hotel-condo project (I think it was the Trump tower) where smaller units were sold to individual owners, that could be then be rented to the hotel when it was unoccupied. Something to that effect.

You are correct about the sales+hotel rent strategy and I believe this originated back when Trump was proposed as a legit super-tall (no flag-pole required to break the magic 300m+ barrier ;-).

TrumpToronto_DayN.jpg

My archives/no idea who to credit.

At risk of turning this into a Fruitco thread (again - as it tends to happen every few months) - what I really wanted to know is whether they will supply their own custom glazing (monolithic glass panels a few stories high is par the course)

EDIT - better yet - monolithic glass panels a few stories high in sliding doors. The way the ground floor is designed it is almost begging for this treatment along Bloor (if not also Yonge).

AoD

All indications are that the GF retail space will have a set of revolving doors along Bloor

Structurally speaking an external eight column square perimeter design should hold up well to increased wind loads. The extra height is primarily a function of if the columns were designed oversized. Quite possible as the extra material would not have added significant overall cost to the project.

Last edited:
Wouldn't an additional 9 floors bring the tower back almost to it's original design/height?

If this is in fact a height increase. Would that mean it could be more likely the neighbouring proposal at 1200 bay to get approved as it would fall in line with the cities plans for a sloped skyline centered around the young bloor intersection?

If my memory serves me correctly, several years back there was a high profile hotel-condo project (I think it was the Trump tower) where smaller units were sold to individual owners, that could be then be rented to the hotel when it was unoccupied. Something to that effect.

I believe that was One King West https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_King_West_Hotel_&_Residence " Each suite in the hotel is individually owned, but the profits are shared amongst suite owners who have placed their suites in the hotel pool. Similar projects are usually seen in resort towns. The individual owners of the units in the building financed the purchase of the common assets of the hotel and now control the company that manages the hotel operations "

i'm not a pro here, but could the added residential floors be added where the mechanical rooms are and then the mechanical areas buried between floors? It would look worse in my opinion but is that an option or just not possible?

i'm not a pro here, but could the added residential floors be added where the mechanical rooms are and then the mechanical areas buried between floors? It would look worse in my opinion but is that an option or just not possible?
In theory one can do most things, but why the developer would want to start going through another lengthy process with the City to get permission to do this is unclear! (Particularly since success would be VERY doubtful.)

Back