Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader. (Hint: don't tell women to smile, especially when they're acting in their professional capacity as a city councillor. Geez.)

I'm sure if those same comments were made of a male councillor you would have no issue.

There's very obviously some nasty gender-based commentary on this thread, but putting that aside for the moment, KWT is my councillor and has been nothing but professional, friendly, helpful, and engaged in my every dealing with her.

Let's hope this marks the end of personal attacks on an individual on this thread and that the discussion turns back to the actual development henceforth.

Seriously?

Actually yes, it is a form of veiled sexism, and I am not saying this to get in a petty PC argument, but let's think about it.

Women are constantly expected to smile, be cheerful, and play the "role of a women", even when in the professional realm. Do we say the same thing about men if they are serious and professional? I think there is a considerable amount of bias towards women who are professional and have acquired higher positions in companies, or in public organizations such as this case, but I have hope as we move forward this will decrease as more and more women are able to attain prominent positions in the corporate/professional working world.. Critique her based on her professional accomplishments, sure, but maybe we can leave the personal crap like "she never smiles" out of the conversation? It just makes people look like ignorant fools in my opinion. (Not attacking anyone specifically.) I think it must be quite difficult for many women to go in to historically male dominated fields and be taken seriously, considering the roles they were expected to be in, in the past. Lots to consider here if we actually think about it, before posting ignorant commentary. Not trying to be overly PC on this, but there are some obvious limits.

I'm sure if those same comments were made of a male councillor you would have no issue.

When was the last time you heard someone say "smile more baby" or similar rude comment to a male Councillor?

I could care less if KWT smiles, farts or shows up in a bikini. Makes no difference to me. There's nothing sexist about telling a person to smile. That's just PC fascism.

KWT is doing a great job representing her constituents. So what if Apple walks? They'll go somewhere else. I'm sure they weren't committed anyway. Occupancy date is way too far away.

What's the laneway issue?

It's not "just PC fascism" which, by the way, is pretty much the go-to defence of people who like to call out female public figures for actions that wouldn't warrant the calling out of their male colleagues. Have you ever heard anyone tell Giorgio Mammoliti or Stephen Holyday or George Perruzza to smile? Or to be nicer? Or to dress more appropriately at work? Or to be less of a bitch? No. That never happens. Because they are men. And all demonstrably less capable than KWT, for the record.

The laneway issue pertains to the width of access to the garage, I believe. There's mention of it in the latest devapp report.

I could care less if KWT smiles, farts or shows up in a bikini. Makes no difference to me. There's nothing sexist about telling a person to smile. That's just PC fascism.

Not really, it sort of depends on the delivery, and content. Saying it's PC fascism is a great excuse to dismiss this shit as being acceptable.

Not really, it sort of depends on the delivery, and content. Saying it's PC fascism is a great excuse to dismiss this shit as being acceptable.

That's because it is acceptance. And calling it sexist is not correct.

Like me (of unidentified gender) saying you have a stick up your butt. Now I don't know if you're a man, a woman, or a transgender or something else, but you definitely have a stick up your butt. Telling a person to smile is not a gender based comment. It's an indication that their persona is too uptight for the context. End of story.

Back on topic here,

Thank you for informing me of the laneway issue. It's another sign of a wildly inexperienced developer.

No, not end of story. You're missing the point entirely. It's a gender-based comment because a double standard is applied—women are subject to different types of criticism than are men. Very simple, and quite awful.

I'm sure they'll figure out the laneway issue.

It's a gender-based comment because a double standard is applied.

Ya, by you. You're the one applying it and escalating the non-issue into an issue. Way to go you gender equality warrior!

It's not a gender based comment. It's a gender-neutral comment and it's made to people of all sexes when the occasion arises.

Ya, by you. You're the one applying it and escalating the non-issue into an issue. Way to go you gender equality warrior!

It's not a gender based comment. It's a gender-neutral comment and it's made to people of all sexes when the occasion arises.

Not to get overly hung up on it or anything, but just how often do you hear the "smile a little" comment made to men?

Anyways, I think it's time to ease off on this topic - any additional comments unrelated to the project will be removed.

MoD

Was anything relating to the underground connections mentioned at the TEY Community Council meeting?
Yes. Kristyn Wong Tam asked several of the deputants about the beneficiary of a path system here and the potential ad revenue associated with it. The latter was posed to the city staff (possibly also one deputant from a resident association? which seemed odd to me).

The lawyer representing Mizrahi mentioned that a proposal was recently put forward for a path connection. It seems like they are positioning it as a section 37 benefit and do not want to bear all of the costs. They expressed that none of their tenants require a path connection or demand space underground (sidenote I recently read that Mizrahi revealed at a conference that the commercial space is already 60% leased). KWT charged that Mizrahi has done a bait and switch by suggesting a path connection would be part of this development from the onset.

Forgive me as I have not been a regular contributor.

The Bloor East Neighbourhood Association (BENA)* along with GYRA (Greater Yorkville Residents Association) and others were part of the City facilitated working group on The One, along with adjacent landowners and two nearby condos. The first thing to note, other than the already identified and addressed shadowing issue (Jesse Ketchum)**, none of the lead neighbourhood associations object to the height nor the density.

BENA in particular is on record as supporting Lanterra's North St. Jamestown project (at the OMB thanks in large part to the South Rosedale Residents Association), which makes sense as all their members live in mid to hi rise condos. Along with GYRA and others, their objections are on the merits of the current state of the proposal and yes are somewhat "technical." They do not oppose an 80-storey retail and condo development at 1 Bloor West. They don't support the current plan for the project. Adjacent landowners (developers) also have opposed the plan as it stands now for a variety of reasons.

As I understand it the "laneway issue" is very much a live one that has not been solved.

It's my sense that key neighbourhood stakeholders hope that the one month deferral will permit sufficient time to address the issues they identified.

As for Mizrahi, if his deal with Apple is solid I am sure it can last one more month (he claimed at one point he'd lose it if he did not have zoning approval by the end of June). One presumes also he won't be rushing to the OMB as he'd be lucky to get a hearing by January.

My sense is that it was the submission that was rushed. Staff do want to approve a version of this. The key neighbourhood stakeholders want to support it too, though they, and it would seem Counillor Wong-Tam, just do not feel it's "there yet.'

* BENA has been a pro bono client of mine but I am not engaged in any way on this file.

** For those may have scoffed at the shadowing issue, it is one thing among few that can indeed cause a project to be refused by the OMB so of course Mizrahi gave ground on it.

Great post, thanks for the background. Is that all to say that the project is now back in the hands of Mizrahi, awaiting their proposed resolutions to the slate of unresolved items?

Back