Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I can't quite put my finger on it but I think Tiger Master isn't a fan of Mr. Mizrahi.

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

I don't know how anyone could leave that meeting with a positive impression of the guy.

We won't be too far off if Mizrahi's expecting the retail to be up by Q1 of 2018. We're looking at what will probably be the biggest excavation in Toronto history, so they can't wait around too much.

Well, they are apparently planning to start excavating the moment they get the required permits.

But KWT has strongly implied while on television (or so it's reported in one of the posts far up-thread) that she's going to delay the permitting process for as long as she can get away with it (apparently as revenge for the rapid Stollery's demolition, as far as I can tell).

So it might be a much longer time than usual before they get those permits.

Obviously not, but spending 15 minutes of the presentation talking about the importance of the Stollerys Stone was a bit much.

What annoyed me the most was how much of a waste of time it was. The first 30 minutes or so was low in information density. A lot of pretentious and repetitive rambling about historical preservation, their inspiration, their history, how proud they are of it, how its a gift to the city and very little of substance.

Then again, I'm a numbers guy, so I may not appreciate the art of salesmanship..

Must say this is exactly how I imagined it would look. I was hoping for a different roof, but the height is exciting so no complaints there.

Well, they are apparently planning to start excavating the moment they get the required permits.

But KWT has strongly implied while on television (or so it's reported in one of the posts far up-thread) that she's going to delay the permitting process for as long as she can get away with it (apparently as revenge for the rapid Stollery's demolition, as far as I can tell).

KWT needs to get over it. This is a fantastic project. I'd hate to see it not be build because of her stupid games.

Did she really say that? Only thing I can find in the thread is this: “What we want to do is make sure that we hear from the community and go through a proper planning process and the official statutory process. Anything short of that is not acceptable,” Wong-Tam said.

Besides, now that his intentions to get the retail portion up and running asap are clear, it makes sense that he demolished it when he did. He bought the site months ago, obviously demolition was happening. Also, let's remember that Wong-Tam's motion for designation came after the demolition permit was already applied for. The City couldn't do much at that point, they're legally obligated to issue the permit.

In regards to Vegeta Skyline's comment re how deep this excavation will be…

In terms of number of levels absolutely. In terms of depth that's not for certain yet, so far it's only been stated to be "more than 30m". Scotia has the current record at 110ft/33.5m below ground.

We will have another record here for depth too, by just a bit. The One's excavation will go 35 metres below ground.

I doubt there will be much appetite for holding up a billion dollars in investment for something that can't really be changed at this point, even less for a personal vendetta from a local councillor...realizing that most of the money here is not coming from Mizrahi but pension funds and the like...

I'm interested in the subway connection, will it be a new subway connection, or just a connection to the path...

What will be happening with the laneway? Is it becoming an entrance to the underground parking?

I also wonder if there will be any requests for public realm enhancements or new facilities - why not 8 floors of retail and 1 floor of community facilities!

The exo-skeleton is cool but it really is a dressed-up box. Foster knew he didn't really have to push the envelope in Toronto.

I think when we look back at the construction boom, this will have been Toronto's big chance to make a splash. Yonge and Bloor.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the subway connection, will it be a new subway connection, or just a connection to the path...

What will be happening with the laneway? Is it becoming an entrance to the underground parking?
It'll be multiple possible connections to the path. The slide where he talked about this showed possible connections to 2 Bloor E, 2 Bloor W, and 1 Bloor E.

Mizrahi said the underground parking entrance will be off of Balmuto, but I'm not sure how that's going to work with Scotiabank in the way.

There's a laneway between The Uptown and Scotiabank

I've died and gone to heaven! I'm not a praying man, but for this, I'll make an exception, please god let this be approved for its current height! I can die a happy man once FCP's 40+ year height record is finally breached!!! The exoskeleton reminds me of another tower, but damned if I can remember where it is, anyone else think it looks similar to another skyscraper elsewhere? I'm keeping everything crossed, hoping it's approved, just kind of pity all those who were so looking forward to their new views in their west facing condos in One Bloor......speaking of which, anyone know who came up with the name "The One"? I keep hearing that old song "You're still the one"....not the most creative or original name, how about a nice chiché name like Skytower, Skycity, Couldcity, etc..??? Meah, who gives a rats ass about the name, it's an awesome looking tower (I've always loved towers with an exoskeleton, they're relatively rare, and really grab your attention). So, let's hope there is no revenge for the early demolition, and that this record setting project gets off the ground soon! Once this, Mervish-Gehry, and possibly Oxford, and/or one of the 1-7 Yonge towers are built, we could will have at least 2 supertalls before the end of this decade, but possibly 5, simply amazing!! See, if you bitch, whine, and moan about something, eventually, it comes true, here's to my constant whining!!

Did she really say that? Only thing I can find in the thread is this: “What we want to do is make sure that we hear from the community and go through a proper planning process and the official statutory process. Anything short of that is not acceptable,” Wong-Tam said.

Besides, now that his intentions to get the retail portion up and running asap are clear, it makes sense that he demolished it when he did. He bought the site months ago, obviously demolition was happening. Also, let's remember that Wong-Tam's motion for designation came after the demolition permit was already applied for. The City couldn't do much at that point, they're legally obligated to issue the permit.

From this thread on Jan 20th::

I'm agnostic on this (neither particularly excited for a Foster building nor against demolition of the existing building) but I wanted to comment on the reaction Councilor Tam-Wong gave on CTV. I got the impression that she was down-right pissed. She mumbled something about not having the ability to do something about the demolition but having the ability to delay this project until One Bloor East was finished. In other words bad blood has been spilt and it looks like this will be a long war of personalities.

Last edited:

Back