Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

i guess it didnt even make sense back then (looking at the vicinity, i wonder what was there before that stollerys bldg. at 1 Bloor west)

Stollery's corner (S/W), 1912 -

Stollery's corner in 1923 -

I really like the 1923 look - more than the current building. Great proportions, impressive windows, it has an early FLW pre-Prairie Style feel to it.

I really like the 1923 look - more than the current building. Great proportions, impressive windows, it has an early FLW pre-Prairie Style feel to it.

Yeah, looks like they demolished that, and the shorter building just to the south to make way for this ...after looking at the latest build, and seeing that its been hacked
i dont even know if it has any historical values...also great to see the 4th, now 3rd structure south of that corner still intact.

Last edited:
Yeah, looks like they demolished that, and the shorter building just to the south to make way for this ...after looking at the latest build, and seeing that its been hacked
i dont even know if it has any historical values...also great to see the 4th, now 3rd structure south of that corner still intact.

I looked but can't find it, but I willl - I have an old photo of Stollery's from the 50's or 60's. The south portion of Stollery's isn't a hack job, it's a faux addition. Also note that dreadfully green painted building to the south (Burgundy's Bar/Florida Jacks) can be seen above in the 1923 photo. It appears the Sunrise building is also in the 1923 photo, who knows what condition the building is in underneath the big ad sign covering the 2nd & 3rd floors.

I looked but can't find it, but I willl - I have an old photo of Stollery's from the 50's or 60's. The south portion of Stollery's isn't a hack job, it's a faux addition. Also note that dreadfully green painted building to the south (Burgundy's Bar/Florida Jacks) can be seen above in the 1923 photo. It appears the Sunrise building is also in the 1923 photo, who knows what condition the building is in underneath the big ad sign covering the 2nd & 3rd floors.

Found it! I was wrong about the year, the photo was from 1971. Interestingly, note the old Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce on the N/W corner and the Manulife apartments being built just beyond the Uptown cinemas auditorium.

Found it! I was wrong about the year, the photo was from 1971. Interestingly, note the old Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce on the N/W corner and the Manulife apartments being built just beyond the Uptown cinemas auditorium.

Also you can see by the street lighting on the left, that the Royal Bank building was still standing...Again, i dont know about that Stollery building...they hacked next door and built that roof thingy...im sure that if true, Apple couldnt care less about that structure but the location.

A bit of an off topic observation re: photo - notice how the curbs and paving is in pretty sad shape - clearly the state of the public realm isn't that rosy even back then.

AoD

A bit of an off topic observation re: photo - notice how the curbs and paving is in pretty sad shape - clearly the state of the public realm isn't that rosy even back then.

AoD

I've also commented on that exact same observation too in the "Toronto Then and Now" or "Lost Toronto" thread. Our sidewalks and roads have always been in as rough shape as they are today (well, it's actually much better now) as they were through the 20th century. Our extreme climate plays havoc on concrete, asphalt & buried infrastructure.

Also you can see by the street lighting on the left, that the Royal Bank building was still standing...Again, i dont know about that Stollery building...they hacked next door and built that roof thingy...im sure that if true, Apple couldnt care less about that structure but the location.

Well, Royal lasted a couple of years longer than CIBC, just as their replacements were a couple of years newer.

As far as Stollery goes: as business and property owners, it was well within their right to expand. And there's nothing really *that* fatally wrong with the additions, which leave more or less well enough alone re the original--it could've been far worse. Ironically, to dump on Stollery's for its add-ons is probably more against the grain of Jane Jacobs accretive-urban-pragmatism...

Kind of wish we still had those yellow street name signs. They scream urban to me for some reason.

Are you certain about this Apple Store? I'm hearing the property wasn't sold at all and this is simply a rumour.

Apple would never have bought the building. The family was in talks with them before the holidays about leasing it to them and closing the store. The store manager never would have known about that as they were just discussions. Arthur Stollery died in December and therefore any discussions have been stalled... It could happen, it could not happen.

At this point the family does not want to sell the land...

The SW corner of Bloor and Yonge was discussed last year in Mustafa's "Then and Now" thread last year. If I recall, the Stollery building (which is about half the width of its predeccesor) was built circa 1930 when they widened Bloor Street.

Back