Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I have been meaning to ask this, and someone else has probably answered already, but what is the round metal sided hole for on the Bloor St. side by the sidewalk?

I believe that is going to be a spiral staircase to the PATH level.
Or the hatch leading to an oubliette? (" An oubliette or bottle dungeon is a basement room which is accessible only from a hatch or hole (an angstloch) in a high ceiling; however, the description of these basement rooms as "dungeons" stems from the romanticised castle studies of the 19th century. ")
burns.jpg

The "base" of it seems to go down to the next floor. Are they planting something that's very tall and/or with deep roots?

So I checked out the most up to date Landscape and Lighting plans from April 2020, and it does not show that circular area as a planter of any kind. It just shows four different types of elms being planted on Bloor St. West. Not sure why they are doing four different types of elms trees. Maybe to see which one works best?

Annotation 2020-08-16 010806.jpg

Figured it out. It's an intake shaft. Found this in the Architectural drawings.

Annotation 2020-08-16 013657.jpg

Last edited:
Today the are using the cement pumping station on Balmuto st. I believe it might be the first time they are using it although it is quite possible that I’ve missed this before.

Thank you for answering the question I just now logged on to ask! I had been wondering about that contraption for weeks.

Well they are definitely building above grade. That curved ramp wall is about a storey above, right?

Is the ramp wall height necessary to be like that for the ramp structure in meeting the about grade level?

Back