Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Indeed- $36CAD for the standard view. I don't doubt the logistical realities make it an expensive and risky proposition. Toronto isn't Manhattan either. Perhaps public viewing platforms from tall buildings don't hold the same touristic appeal as decades past since a lot more cities have tall structures now- but that is just speculation.

Also there is the matter that many of these observation decks were built at a time when they are the highest point in the city. CN Tower kind of spoiled that possibility in the Toronto context - and besides, ESB, Top of the Rock, etc have claims of being historical landmarks on their own right - things that tourists would pay to visit. The One isn't that.

AoD

Last edited:
And I don't think there is such demand in the city especially since we already have the CN Tower.

The main problem with the CN Tower view is that you can't see the CN Tower when you're up it. This is why people in the know go up the Montparnasse Tower instead of the Eifel Tower when they're in the Paris. The view isn't all that great if you can't see the most iconic structure in the city.

Similarly the view from John Hancock over the CBD to the Sears/Willis tower. But Hancock was more of a landmark building in it's heyday too- still is I suppose.

In Toronto, I do not think that there would be a business case for an observation deck with hefty admission fees with the CN Tower in town.

100%. Take NYC, for example, where the 30 Rock observation deck is pretty regularly very quickly accessible while the lines at One WTC and the ESB are truly epic.

The main problem with the CN Tower view is that you can't see the CN Tower when you're up it. This is why people in the know go up the Montparnasse Tower instead of the Eifel Tower when they're in the Paris. The view isn't all that great if you can't see the most iconic structure in the city.
But The CN Tower, as nice as that view is... is it.
I recently tried to go up to the top of the new city hall observation deck (as I had heard and read there was one and seen pictures) and they told me it’s not open to public and is off limits.
Several places I had read about having any decks to look from were not for public anymore. And really had wished to do some photography.

Last edited:
Several places I had read about having any decks to look from were not for public anymore. And really had wished to do some photography.

Have a drink at The One Eighty (ex Panorama) on top of the Manulife Tower. Prices are steep, but cheaper than the CN Tower admission. The south-facing view is arguably better than the views from the CN Tower.

100%. Take NYC, for example, where the 30 Rock observation deck is pretty regularly very quickly accessible while the lines at One WTC and the ESB are truly epic.

I'd use the same logic from my Paris example. When I'm in NYC, I want to see the Empire State Building when I'm looking at the city. Top of the Rock gives me that view and is way better for it imo.

I think that's non-sense but to each their own.

this_01.jpg" width="650">
this_01.jpg

The penthouse terraces will be quite spectacular.

There’s be a lot of ugly mechanical tops of building to look at from there, that’s for sure.

Back