Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Not sure I've ever seen a shoring permit before that limited the work to soil remediation without also specifying excavation at the same time. Anyone in excavation know how rare this is?

Wasn't the plan to build the underground parking top down? I guess that has changed. The site has been urbanized for more than a hundred years so there will be some contamination but probably not enough to involve shoring. Why not just say its shoring for future development?

Let's get this baby started ! How many floors down do they have to go when shoring ? I heard it was eight.

So where does the soil go when removed from all of these sites? To bad they didn't re use it to make something like mini islands, or points where people could go out onto the water a bit and get some good views and make them into parks or something. Or even use in for the new terrain someplace else to create grassy hills.

the fill is generally sold to the highest bidder. Dirt is expensive, believe it or not.

The Leslie Spit is slowly expanded using dredged materials from the harbour.

I work in environmental engineering and can answer that question (lol, I usually just read the threads on here and don't have much to contribute, since I don't know a lot about architecture or planning!).

If the soil is clean, it's usually sold for use at other sites that need fill (including the lakeshore parks), as insertnamehere said above. If it's not "clean" but is only a bit impacted by metals or similar non-mobile contaminants (i.e. if the soil doesn't meet the MOE limits for residential or parkland uses, but has lower contaminant levels), it can still be sold as fill for industrial/commercial properties, or taken to a landfill to be used as the soil cover that goes on top of the landfill waste. But if the soil is heavily contaminated, then it has to be disposed of as waste at a landfill or a soil treatment facility, which can cost the developer lots of $$$ depending on how much soil is involved and what it's been contaminated with.

So where does the soil go when removed from all of these sites? To bad they didn't re use it to make something like mini islands, or points where people could go out onto the water a bit and get some good views and make them into parks or something. Or even use in for the new terrain someplace else to create grassy hills.

Thanks for that ya I guess that makes sense. Forgot about that big detail of possible contaminated soils and that. Thanks for the input.

I just wonder,One Bloor West just stole all the “landmarkiness” away from this project. If One Bloor West was Michael Jackson, One Bloor East would be like Tito.

Even in the artist rendering you can see One Bloor East shown in One Bloor West’s shadow. Sadly for One Bloor Easters they will literally (as the sun moves West after mid-day) and figuratively be living in One Bloor West’s shadow.

I just wonder,One Bloor West just stole all the “landmarkiness” away from this project. If One Bloor West was Michael Jackson, One Bloor East would be like Tito.

Even in the artist rendering you can see One Bloor East shown in One Bloor West’s shadow. Sadly for One Bloor Easters they will literally (as the sun moves West after mid-day) and figuratively be living in One Bloor West’s shadow.

Putting up the same post in two threads is considered spamming. Please don't (especially if you're not going to re-write it to make it apply properly for this project)!

So where does the soil go when removed from all of these sites?

Some rural municipalities are having a problem with this. Some landowners are accepting this fill and receiving payments for each delivery, however not all loads are "clean" and end up contaminating water tables.
the hamlet of Greenbank in Scugog Township is one example. The company "Earthworx" has been transporting 100's of loads of fill for a leveling of a runway at the Greenbank airfield, however contaminents have been discovered in the fill and the Township is in a legal fight with the land owner for soil cleanup.

That is the typical con man using federally regulated airfield projects to bypass local regulations and do what they want. A few decades ago in Scugog the same thing happened, the guy claimed he was building a heliport, dumped a ton of contaminated soil, took the profits, and fled to the Caymans. Municipality was left to clean up.

Back