Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I'm assuming he went to the OMB before the city approved it. But I'm not sure why I was sent notice of the pre-hearing the other day.

That could explain everything. Perhaps the OMB is just overworked and sent out the notices late, and made the mistake of sending out an obsolete notice.

That could explain everything. Perhaps the OMB is just overworked and sent out the notices late, and made the mistake of sending out an obsolete notice.
I didn't get the notice from the OMB; I got it from some law firm at Yonge/Sheppard (maybe Mizrahi's lawyer). From my time working at the OMB, I know that they don't usually send notices of pre-hearings to the general public.

Okay, this is how it works. After 180 days (for Official Plan amendments) or 120 days (zoning by-law amendments), an applicant is entitled to appeal its application from the "neglect" of Council to make a decision. Sometimes such appeals are referred to as "private appeals". Sometimes developers will strategically trigger private appeals, even in instances where there remains a good chance that Council will eventually support the proposal, for a variety of reasons. The most common reason is the expectation that third parties are likely to appeal any Council approval anyway, so the developer tries to speed things up by getting the OMB process underway so that they at least have a prehearing date scheduled by the time Council makes a decision (in other words, the third party's ability to delay the project is reduced). Another reason is that the OMB process can sometimes force the City to act more quickly than it sometimes would - the scheduling of an OMB prehearing or hearing date typically obliges planning staff to report to Council beforehand so that the City has a position at the Board.

In the case of private appeals, the applicant is required to send out the notices for the prehearing. That's why these notices are coming from the developer's law firm.

It's worth noting that back in July, Council didn't technically approve the rezoning for the One. The application had already been appealed to the OMB, so that decision was no longer Council's to make. Instead, Council instructed the City Solicitor and other appropriate staff to attend at the OMB in support of the proposal.

Last edited:
Just want to chime in to say that @Skeezix is entirely correct. No one is trying to undermine the City's support for the proposal at the OMB.

If no private parties appear to oppose the development at the pre-hearing, then the OMB can ratify the agreement that the City and Mizrahi have come to since his appeal.

A bit of activity today.
IMG_0180.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,420
In one of my finance classes yesterday we were given a presentation from the Chairman of Brookfield Financial, in which we did a case study on One Bloor East and the sale of its retail to First Capital Reality, as well as the justification for Nordstrom Rack being a tenant as opposed to a typical Nordstrom. During the presentation he revealed they have just recently done a similiar deal for this building selling the commercial space, and that Apple will be its main retail tenant. He said Apple was adamant on being west of Yonge, as opposed to in One Bloor East.

During the presentation he revealed they have just recently done a similiar deal for this building selling the commercial space, and that Apple will be its main retail tenant. He said Apple was adamant on being west of Yonge, as opposed to in One Bloor East.

Thanks for sharing. At this point, it's all but confirmed, and it makes sense on Apple's end to be located on Bloor West, on the mink mile, that seems to end once you pass Yonge Street. It's a much nicer location for an Apple Store in my opinion, over 1BE. The only shame being it will still be several years before they can open, even if the retail component opens first.

^Sounds like a really interesting finance class to me; wish I could pop into one of those.

That's and interesting piece of information though, I wonder what Apple's logic would be in doing that- if this is indeed true.

I took a similar class a few years ago like that, each week was a guest lecturer from a different section of the development sector. None of them gave out juicy info like that though. Even had someone from Fist Gulf go over One Bloor East.

I wish I could provide proof, but we were not given the presentations slide deck. He was a bit surprised to see the Apple Store on the map in the presentation, when his analyst switched to the slide, he said to her "Oh I guess were revealing that to them eh?". He said the new landlord is expecting to put 8 million into turning the "shell" of the podium into an apple store, and that the rent they are paying is astronomically higher than Nordstrom Rack. I pressed him for more information on timing and other things, but at that point he said our 100 person class would need to sign an NDA for him to go any further.

Shoring Permit issued last Friday:

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Permit Issued

TORONTO ON M4W 1A3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 15 260226 BLD 00 BA Issued Date: Nov 4, 2016

Project: Other Shoring

Description: Proposal for stand-alone shoring for Soil Remediation

Back