Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

A few updates from today.

DSC02167 by B C, on Flickr

The width of the sidewalk here really makes me cringe. And even more claustrophobic now that the hoarding is up. I've personally never really felt that this block was begging for redevelopment due to it's constricted size and what not, but now that I see construction/demolition commencing alongside One Bloor across the street, it's hard not to see a massive skyscraper here now. Seeing that there is no real 'podium' at The One, it's going to be a thin, sheer wall, 330m up along Yonge. THAT excites me.

I wonder if the architects were inspired by that cross walk? (Square frame with an X in it) Can they bring back that design with a realistic budget? Maybe....

Why aren't you an architect? You've got so many great designs and ideas that the world should see. You're much more creative than most of our local architects.

Mods - is there a rule about one person having multiple accounts? That can only describe what's happening in the 2 posts above mine

Lol I just seen urbandreamers fantasy renders and I myself am wondering why he isn't an architect? If I was rich I'd have him design all the towers in the city.

^Interesting conspiracy but thanks, I don't have time to hang out on UT like I used to. Maybe once a week I login the rest just browse via mobile. Besides, designing F+P/aA knockoffs takes about the same amount of time--2-3 hours--weekly as my photo update walking tours.

Anyway, I really hope they go with the 3rd design they presented that rep's their work today not decades ago--ie the glass tower w/o X frame or "hangers."

Some updates of the site from above from today.
DSC02183.jpg
DSC02184.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02183.jpg
    DSC02183.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,682
  • DSC02184.jpg
    DSC02184.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,101
A 3 storey mediocre heritage bldg. they are trying to preserve @ Yonge and Bloor,...... gee im sorry, what a piece of junk

Why does the location negate the need to preserve a heritage building?

Eventually, more of Toronto is going to be urbanized. Does that mean we should just give developers free reign to demolish whatever they want? It's a beautiful building, of a style that embodies Yonge Street. It's definitely worth some attention and preservation, and in my opinion, keeping it is only improving this project.

A 3 storey mediocre heritage bldg. they are trying to preserve @ Yonge and Bloor,...... gee im sorry, what a piece of junk

Funny, Foster and Partners found it junky enough to be worth working into their plans, to the point of referring to the scale and features on the Yonge facade - so unless you have a sense of taste that is more refined than theirs....

AoD

Back