Toronto The Metropolitan | 113.99m | 37s | Lancer Developments

With 88 Queen up for a complete development, and Mutual Street to become highrise canyon, there is definitely a need for more park space in this part of town, and I really don't get why people say we have enough park space. That's ridiculous. You want to build another (craptacular, in this case) highrise because your're afraid of junkies?

The City of Toronto has millions of dollars of unspent funds for parkland acquisition. I can't think of many opportunities in this part of town to do so, unless we could, somehow, kick the armoury out at Moss Park and expand that park.

I'd rather see the city try and buy back this land to maintain the sightline and relationship that @thecharioteer illustrated in his photo from August. Especially considering the disgustingly ugly tower proposed for this site.

With 88 Queen up for a complete development, and Mutual Street to become highrise canyon, there is definitely a need for more park space in this part of town, and I really don't get why people say we have enough park space. That's ridiculous. You want to build another (craptacular, in this case) highrise because your're afraid of junkies?

No, not afraid of junkies. With less parks, they'll be found in greater concentrations, anyway ;)

I'm in favour of density in this part of the city (and country, for that matter) that is most appropriate for it. Sustainability starts with land use. I'd really like to see an increase of investment by the city in the existing parks. It's exciting to see the LGBT inclusive sports facility planned for Moss Park. An acquisition and addition of the Armoury lands as part of a revitalization would also be fantastic.

Agreed, re: the architecture.

Just a shot of the parsonage with some hoarding at the corner of Bond and Shuter. Has the hoarding been up long? In any case, editing the Growth To Watch For instalment for this area recently I learned that the parsonage will be moved south on Bond when (and if) 'The Metropolitan' goes ahead. Maybe that's somewhere in this thread already, but I hadn't filed that in my memory banks before…

DSC09169.jpg

Attachments

• DSC09169.jpg
    DSC09169.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 502
hoarding must be fairly new. It wasn't there months ago
I think it went up last summer and is, I am told, to stop homeless people breaking into the building and to stop people sleeping and doing drugs on the 'porch' area. Unfortunately not a hint of immediate building activity.

Though it is not directly connected to this (possible) development (I think); it is great that the Church itself is being power-washed. I guess after the great job the Catholics have done on St Michael's they were feeling a bit ashamed of their rather dirty building!

The power washing is now finushed on the tower and the south, west and north sides. They are now working on East side. It really makes the building look SO much better. Pity that there is a car park on East and north sides and a rather sad park on south side. If the new building ever gets going I hope they use the $$ to do proper landscaping.

Application:
Demolition Folder (DM)
Under Review
TORONTO ON M5B 1X1
Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#:
17 168594 DEM 00 DM
Accepted Date:
May 30, 2017
Project:
Office
Work:
Demolition
Description:
Proposal to demolish existing 3 storey office building

Looks like they are going to demolish the remaining building on this site. Damn shame.

Damn. So the desecration of Bond St begins. This and the impending loss of old hospital building across the street... Truly shameful.

Begins?

It's been half a building for over a decade and who knows when the parking lot on Bond went in. I'm more than willing to let this unused, boarded up, vestige go for development with active uses and more green space.

Why must it be either/or? I'm all for redevelopment here, but a more sensitive approach could easily enhance that 'vestige' without sacrificing density.

Back