Toronto The Madison | 121m | 36s | Madison Group | Kirkor

Say hello to the Madison on Eglinton

http://www.kirkorarchitects.com/proj-madison.htm

"The principal design challenge was to create a building that could visually reduce the length of facade along the city block that the building occupies. A mix of residential with retail at the base that is intermingled around the three storey high entrance enabled the podium to create an exciting tumbling effect as the mass steps down towards Yonge Street. The towers reinforce this duplicity by evoking a ying-yang effect with the opposite curves facing Eglinton Avenue.

Project Statistics

Status -
Total Site Area: 15,136 sq.m.
Project GFA 525,000 sq.m.
Non-Residential GFA 124,000 sq.m.
Residential GFA 385,000 sq.m.
Overall Height 156 m
Storeys 45
Residential Suites 256
Client: Madison Properties
Design Architects: Kirkor Architects & Planners
Architect of Record: Kirkor Architects & Planners "

From the website:

ScreenShot022.jpg

ScreenShot024.jpg

It looks like the "45 storeys" given on the website must be the sum of the two residential towers above the podium (21 and 18 storeys above the 8 storey podium), plus the residential floors of the podium (6 storeys).

Last edited:
thanks realist123 ...

while the Madison applicaiton is not new, dating back to October 2008, the renderings are definitely unseen before ... looks like Kirkor updated their website with a new look with some new project renderings ~ nice :)

The orientation is a bit confusing to me -- are those looking east or looking south? My guess is the former, since as I understand it the project is going into what is the parking lot there, and not tearing down the health club to the east -- is that correct? If so, it would be nice to see a better render of what the project will look like on the Eglinton side.

both renderings represents views looking from Eglinton Avenue, first one looking southeast from Dunfield/Eglinton, second one looking southwest from Lillian/Eglinton

all buildings fronting Eglinton are proposed to be demolished to make way for this proposal, you can read more details in this October 2008 City Planning staff report

Site Plan - some nifty funky shaped building footprints
Madison_sp.jpg

North Elevation - will be a nice solid streetwall replacing a parking lot on Eglinton
Madison_elevN.jpg

The project will take up the entire width of Eglinton from Dunfield to Lillian.

Both the old theater/health club & small office building will be demolished.

From what I have heard, the condo sales office will be located in the Yorkville club since it is now closed.

Got it -- I was looking at the city report in the first post of the thread, and didn't realize the project had been updated to take over the whole width of the block.

None of that makes sense..:confused:

Project Statistics

Status -
Total Site Area: 15,136 sq.m.
Project GFA 525,000 sq.m.
Non-Residential GFA 124,000 sq.m.
Residential GFA 385,000 sq.m.
Overall Height 156 m
Storeys 45
Residential Suites 256
Client: Madison Properties
Design Architects: Kirkor Architects & Planners
Architect of Record: Kirkor Architects & Planners

One of the towers is 29 storeys (see the thread title). Subtract the 8 storeys of the podium to get 21 storeys for the tower itself. The other tower is 26 storeys (also in the thread title), and subtracting the 8 storeys of the podium leaves 18 storeys for the second tower by itself. The podium is 8 storeys tall, but the bottom 2 storeys are non-residential, leaving 6 storeys of residential podium. 21 + 18 + 6 = 45, the number of storeys listed on the Kirkor website.

The logic is dubious, but it's the only way I can see where they got 45 as the number of storeys.

Last edited:
Well, it obviously is not exactly a landmark building. On the other hand, it seems to be better than mere infill. It's a decent enough design, not groundbreaking but not trash, either. It is certainly more daring than is typical of most Toronto boxes these days. For Kirkor, this is as good as you can reasonably expect, possibly their best design yet.

The design is perfect for this city block.

They clearly are taking consideration of the surrounding area and how it will fit in. Instead of just a towering block that might shadow this stretch (most notably the patios across the street), they seem to have considered how it will fit into the neighbourhood. The angles and horizontal lines create flow and are visually stimulating. I'm glad they will be adding retail because I think it's much needed along Eglinton East. For what is a dense area, I find that unless you're off to the pub you're really just cruising forward on through to Yonge Street. The added density and retail will breathe more life in what is already a busy area that just needs some extra punch.

This looks to be a winner for Yonge & Eglinton. The only drawback will be to residents of the new Dunfield retirement living complex behind it. But, really, while their views will become limited, to date their view has been a parking lot.

There is currently construction going on inside the old Theater / Yorkville club. My understanding is that they are going to use the location as the sales center for the project.

Back