Mississauga The Kith and Kindred Condominiums | ?m | 25s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

May 28th
I shot this project a number of times over the last week, including some experimental night shots. Those will get posted later in the week.
1685979751922.jpeg

1685979759169.jpeg

1685979769041.jpeg

1685979776458.jpeg

An eerie looking Kith and Kindred with all the smoke tonight
1688173729405.jpeg

1688173738431.jpeg

I presume the big fields on the right in the last picture is a future development?
That parcel is one of the many sections of empty or underused land owned by Erin Mills Town Centre that surrounds the mall. While there is nothing planned yet, it is likely that there will be a plan for intensification here in the future.

EMTC is owned by the Ontario Pension Board. Unfortunately, the OPB doesn’t seem to be as aggressive on mall intensification unlike Cadillac Fairview/OTPP, who funny enough, at one point also used to own this mall.

That parcel is one of the many sections of empty or underused land owned by Erin Mills Town Centre that surrounds the mall. While there is nothing planned yet, it is likely that there will be a plan for intensification here in the future.

EMTC is owned by the Ontario Pension Board. Unfortunately, the OPB doesn’t seem to be as aggressive on mall intensification unlike Cadillac Fairview/OTPP, who funny enough, at one point also used to own this mall.
Pemberton bought the mall earlier this year so there should be redevelopment plans coming soonish.

Pemberton bought the mall earlier this year so there should be redevelopment plans coming soonish.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I just dug around to find more info, I'm linking the RENX article for those interested. One interesting thing to note is that the mall sold to Pemberton for $272M on January 31 of this year, down from the $370M that the OPB spent to buy it from Cadillac Fairview in 2010, despite the extensive $100M renovation work that was undertaken in 2013-2015.

Last edited:
I'm curious if the development plans for the green fields and carparks surrounding the mall have been released at all? Or have re-zoning applications been filed/approved?

I can imagine the current set up (the highway-sized stroads, the empty spaces of grass and concrete) being extremely unpleasant for pedestrians making their way to the mall and being discouraged from walking there all together even if they live directly in front.

I'm curious if the development plans for the green fields and carparks surrounding the mall have been released at all? Or have re-zoning applications been filed/approved?

I can imagine the current set up (the highway-sized stroads, the empty spaces of grass and concrete) being extremely unpleasant for pedestrians making their way to the mall and being discouraged from walking there all together even if they live directly in front.
There is nothing formal yet and there have been no applications made, as far as I know. However, Mississauga was working on some conceptual plans as part of their wider Reimagining The Mall initiative, which includes four other malls for potential intensification.

This is what they came up with for EMTC:
IMG_8563.png

In response to my own question previously, a nebulous announcement was made by the Erin Mills Town Centre administration and marketing representative about future residential growth on the grounds of the mall with the mall acting as an ancillary amenity.

BTW, I don't know if it has been mentioned before on this forum, but Erin Mills Town Centre (and watching its transformation) is of particular interest as it was featured in the opening scene - and in subsequent transitioning scenes - of the 1988 documentary Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media. Through an interview narrative, Noam Chomsky dissects the role of mass media to normalise and engrain neoliberal politics and capitalistic worldview in the minds of the US populace. Why a Canadian mall was shown, I am not particularly certain, however the thesis of the document (and book it is based on) apply to most countries I would say. Perhaps the sterile appearance of perfection, monotony, and repetition of the mall and its surrounding parking lot, plucked onto former agricultural lands, epitomises the "manufactured" and unnatural society being scrutinised. I just find it shocking that the mall administration allowed the of their location for this particular commentary.

BTW, I don't know if it has been mentioned before on this forum, but Erin Mills Town Centre (and watching its transformation) is of particular interest as it was featured in the opening scene - and in subsequent transitioning scenes - of the 1988 documentary Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media. Through an interview narrative, Noam Chomsky dissects the role of mass media to normalise and engrain neoliberal politics and capitalistic worldview in the minds of the US populace. Why a Canadian mall was shown, I am not particularly certain, however the thesis of the document (and book it is based on) apply to most countries I would say. Perhaps the sterile appearance of perfection, monotony, and repetition of the mall and its surrounding parking lot, plucked onto former agricultural lands, epitomises the "manufactured" and unnatural society being scrutinised. I just find it shocking that the mall administration allowed the of their location for this particular commentary.

Interesting. The mall was completely forgettable for me. Apparently I had gone to see a film there in 1992 when there were cinemas but have absolutely no recollection of ever being there prior to moving to the area in 2014.

My guess is that the mall administration didn't know, or even think to ask, what was being filmed. They probably heard, "hey it is a National Film Board documentary" and that was all.

From a purely anecdotal perspective, it does seem that the mall is busier. I don't know if it is the Wal-Mart effect or just all the high rises on the south side of Eglinton being fully completed but on my last few trips in off peak times it has been busier. And that was before Cineplex opened in mid May.

July 7th-still playing catch up with a ton of images to post:
1689595397801.jpeg

1689595464378.jpeg

1689595485926.jpeg

Back