Toronto The HUB | 258.46m | 59s | Oxford Properties | Rogers Stirk Harbour

The city planners are obsessed with preserving the postcard view of downtown Toronto from the lake and as such reduce the height of any building which alters that view.

Quite frankly, that postcard view has become stale and boring and it's time to update it. Our only hope is when some of these old fossils in city planning committee retire and get replaced by younger people and then we will see taller buildings get approved.

Who knew the "postcard lobby" could hold such sway of City planning

The HUB is now 846ft in height, the nearby condo towers are:

ICE 1= 664ft
ICE 2= 768ft
Harbour Plaza 1= 748ft
Harbour Plaza 2= 776ft
Ten York= 734ft
CIBC Square 1= 780ft
CIBC Square 2= 790ft

So to be fair, the HUB is still 56ft+ taller than the highest tower nearby. In a perfect world another 50ft would have been perfect but what can you do.
Wow! 5 storeys difference if it's a 10 ft condo floor plate 3 storeys if it's office floor plate . That really doesn't make a big dent in height differential. If you are viewing it from a distance as seen on Koop's illustration on the other page. Slap another 1 hundred to the 56 foot difference then you'll see some contrast!

Quite frankly, that postcard view has become stale and boring and it's time to update it.

You say that as if the skyline hasn't changed at all over the past few years. If anything, what's stale and boring about it is that every new building is clad entirely in the same blue and green glass every time.

Still amazed that there are members of this forum who sincerely believe the only thing standing between us and and a downtown full of supertalls is the city's planning department.

Or a postcard for that matter. As an aside what's a postcard? :)

I too am weary of excessive teal, but I would have said that the favounite colour for recent condos is a “dull as a November day grey.” I am really tired of that.

They had an opportunity to rectify it in a small but meaningful/high impact manner at street level - and they blew it.

AoD
That's my biggest takeaway. The density is happening in this area no matter what but it's the streetlevel that is just terrible across the board at this point. The colours would have really added something to the area but instead they're tucked away leaving us another glasswalled lobby that is rather uninviting to all those who are not privy to an office in the building.

They had an opportunity to rectify it in a small but meaningful/high impact manner at street level - and they blew it.

AoD

This City already has guerilla gardeners and graffiti artists................is it time for guerrilla elevator core painters? guerrilla glass tinters? guerrilla streetscapers?

A short video:

Toronto Model 12-21-19 The Hub.png

Quite frankly, the only location to legitimately break the monotony of the present skyline, is Commerce Court 3, being slimmed down and allowed to soar to at least a 350 metre height, hopefully with a re-imagined design befitting a world city!

Back