Toronto The HUB | 258.46m | 59s | Oxford Properties | Rogers Stirk Harbour

In 5 months the ACC becomes the Scotiabank Arena in a 20 year deal worth $800 million. It's peanuts selling peanuts to passersby.

As MLSE can tell you, overcharging for peanuts in an environment where one enjoys a near-monopoly can be extremely profitable.

Ah.. that's somewhat good news!

Who wants to take bets on when MLSE demolishes and rebuilds the entire portion of the ACC abutting the rail corridor? The small office tower would make for a great hotel/office combo, with the remainder of the work making the building integrate better with its new surroundings.

I recall the office tower was proposed to be much taller than what got built. The economy was in the toilet at the time. I wonder if the existing core could handle a much taller tower.

As MLSE can tell you, overcharging for peanuts in an environment where one enjoys a near-monopoly can be extremely profitable.

That applies to visitors. It doesn't apply to passersby.

Relatedly, CBRE's latest market report says that the downtown office vacancy rate has fallen to the lowest level on record (3.7%).

Here is the Hub at 281 metres:
UUCbRfd.png

Relatedly, CBRE's latest market report says that the downtown office vacancy rate has fallen to the lowest level on record (3.7%).

Yeah, CIBC Square-1 (1.5 million sq. ft.) and 16 York (800.000 sq. ft.) which are under construction should help a bit,
but to get to normal vacancy rates ...CIBC Square-2 + BA-3 (2.5 million sq. ft. in the pipeline)
and the Big 4 (6 million sq. ft.) will have to be built in the next 5-10 years

1m sq. feet of office space under construction at The Well also

Another way to look at it is that we are short 5 million square feet right now. (closer to 10 million if we were less conservative like the US) 5 to 10 years is unpredictable. Vacancy could also be at 15 to 20% by then.

The touch of colour in a typical RSH manner made it stand out - the question is whether this is considered too radical by the developer? It could be something like the RSH Transbay proposal:

Wasn't familiar with RSH's work until checking the link. But you're right bold colours for key elements is one of their main themes. Someone's already posted 8 Chifley, but perhaps something along those lines. As in: the vertical columns remain white, but the small lateral join will be coloured (i.e the ladder's steps). Obviously 8 Chifley does this a tad more dynamically with larger x-bracing. But small coloured column joins would still look bold here without appearing too garish.

Yeah, I can't un-see that colour...

Even a few hints, like at 8 Chifley Square would be nice:

Oh yeah that looks solid. This is essentially what I wanted to see in any Waterfront Innovation Centre.

Back