Toronto The Hive: Lofts on The Queensway | 21.03m | 6s | Symmetry | Teeple Architects

There are differences, but it doesn't look significantly cheaper. There are contrasting white spandrels that seem tastefully applied. The storefront glass looks sleeker versus the rendering--the mullions are thinner. However, the black block cladding in the renderings looks better than the product that is being applied right now.

Last edited:
There are differences, but it doesn't look significantly cheaper. There are contrasting white spandrels that seem tastefully applied. The storefront glass looks sleeker versus the rendering--the mullions are thinner. However, the black block cladding in the renderings looks better than the product that is being applied right now.

Took the liberty to do a side by side (render versus progress photo posted today).

render%20comparison.jpg

Differences (ignoring the slight variance in the perspective of the shot):

We went with curtain wall at grade. Render had window wall. The opposite of a cheapening.
Render had spandrels ghosted out to permit views into the interior. As-built has white spandrels, which I think look great & add some visual punch.
Render assumed slightly larger commercial space, so an extended window wall area. Since the City wanted us to increase the number of parking spaces (provided via the stackers at grade within the garage), the commercial space is smaller than the original proposal. We introduced architectural concrete at the extended garage area. Again, higher cost than the original proposal.
Render is a dramatic dusk shot, with interior lights adding drama and reflecting off the cladding. Progress shot is in broad daylight.
Render cladding had a flat lock profile. This profile has been used in a number of projects. We decided to try something different by running a corrugated profile horizontally, inspired to some extent by this building http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/vmzinc/metal-facade-claddings-corrugated-zinc-sheets-2935-185864.html.
I've yet to see an example of this profile and orientation on a condo within the GTA and am very pleased with the result. No savings to us.
Render is a complete building. The current building does not have the balcony glass or landscaping in place and is surrounded by protective fencing and equipment.

It genuinely, physically pains me when there's an accusation of cheapening based on a quick glance at a progress photo. The cladding on this project costs more than the all the windows and doors, is greater than the entire electrical contract, more than the drywall and framing contract (to provide context) for the entire building.
For a 6 storey project on a 50' x 100' lot, with a GFA of roughly 18K sq.ft, this is an utterly significant cost - one than we've held constant to meet the original design and architectural intent.

Last edited:
^Most thorough and thoughtful reply by a developer on UrbanToronto… ever?

I stand corrected! I apologize. I'm just used to seeing developers opting for the cheaper solution so often that I figured it might have been the case with this project. So I just questioned it. Good to see a developer have the balls to say something.

Can you talk about the type of construction? Most projects use poured concrete to separate the units. You didn't. Any particular reason why?

The project is coming along nicely btw.

Last edited:
Good recovery, TheKingEast! I got corrected today, too! As urban enthusiasts and purchasers of new condos, what the heck do we know? Apparently not a lot. It's good to be educated, otherwise we need to keep our mouths SHUT.

I drove by the Hive today and it looks even better in person. The shape of this building adds so much character to this stretch of Queensway...and Im sure it will be a catalyst for more mid rise developments along this underrated area of Toronto. Visually, this building is on point...the materials are unusual (for the Toronto condo market) and the shape of the building is unique. I like everything except for the white spandrel panels, which I think clutter the otherwise clean black lines around the clear glass. But IMO this is just a small detail on an otherwise fantastic project.

Looking really great yesterday:

P1390376.jpg

P1390377.jpg

P1390380.jpg

Thyme 4 the building to the east to be redeveloped.

Attachments

• P1390376.jpg
    P1390376.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 953
  • P1390377.jpg
    P1390377.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 942
  • P1390380.jpg
    P1390380.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 945
20 according to our dataBase!

I like the shell and design of the building but am not a fan of the cladding. I realize that I am probably in the minority here but in my opinion, the metal (?) cladding has a cheap look to it. Every time I drive by I can’t help but feel somewhat disappointed.

Aside from that, this is a fantastic addition to the neighborhood.

I like the shell and design of the building but am not a fan of the cladding. I realize that I am probably in the minority here but in my opinion, the metal (?) cladding has a cheap look to it. Every time I drive by I can’t help but feel somewhat disappointed.

Aside from that, this is a fantastic addition to the neighborhood.

Yes, this. The dark grey cladding plus the geometry has a slight 70s apartment block feeling to it. Now all that's missing is the red-brown brick...

Back