Toronto The Dineen Building | ?m | 5s | Commercial Realty G. | George Robb

Passed by about half an hour ago: This building looks PHENOMENAL at night! The red glow of the arcade building combined with Dineen's LED lighting blew me away. I didn't get a photo but damn it looks good.

Why was the central tower truncated?

the roofs of the 3 towers + the middle tower were removed in 1935. According to Osbaldeston in Unbuilt Toronto 2 this was done so for 'safety reasons', but I'm sure it was also heavily influenced by contemporary aesthetics. Who wanted a dated richardsonian romanesque building in the 30's? I'm sure it was viewed then much in the same way we now perceive brutalism.

Perhaps one day they'll be properly restored?

Confederation_Life_Bldg_1890_zpsf0869081.jpg

Don't count on it. I wish I were a multi-billionaire so I could pay for the restoration.

Oh, you wouldn't need that much. Problem is, the opportunity was missed when the City allowed the north side of the block to be demolished in the 1980's (including the historic Imperial Bank on the SE corner of Queen and Yonge) and did not insist on a complete restoration in exchange for the permission to build One Queen East.

Oh, you wouldn't need that much. Problem is, the opportunity was missed when the City allowed the north side of the block to be demolished in the 1980's (including the historic Imperial Bank on the SE corner of Queen and Yonge) and did not insist on a complete restoration in exchange for the permission to build One Queen East.

I know I wouldn't need that much money, but it would be useful to have that amount so I could pay for the restoration of hundreds of buildings across the city. I'd also buy off developers such as Pinnacle, Kirkor, Tridel, etc. and make sure they never erect a new building in this city again.

20100128-QueenBathurst1928.jpg

It's the same kind of situation as the CB2 store at Queen and Bathurst...it would have been really nice if they'd re-added the mansard roof, and perhaps added in some office space or luxury lofts. I wish there were more niche developers willing to take on these types of projects.

Attachments

• 20100128-QueenBathurst1928.jpg
    20100128-QueenBathurst1928.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 668
View attachment 9353

It's the same kind of situation as the CB2 store at Queen and Bathurst...it would have been really nice if they'd re-added the mansard roof, and perhaps added in some office space or luxury lofts. I wish there were more niche developers willing to take on these types of projects.

I thought the mansard roof wasn't restored due to our stringent zoning laws?

Does anyone know if the Dineen building is now lit at night?

Does anyone know if the Dineen building is now lit at night?

Yup. It is downlit with LEDs mounted on the underside of the roof parapet, also the lighting of the arcade building across the street completely illuminates the building. It looks amazing

I really hope not (re: Starbucks). There's one at King and Yonge, Yonge near Shuter in the Eaton Centre, another in the Eaton Centre (in Indigo), another around the corner at Queen and Bay, and the list goes on. How many damn Starbucks do we need? That patio space is wasted on another location of this mediocre and overrated chain.

I really hope not (re: Starbucks). There's one at King and Yonge, Yonge near Shuter in the Eaton Centre, another in the Eaton Centre (in Indigo), another around the corner at Queen and Bay, and the list goes on. How many damn Starbucks do we need? That patio space is wasted on another location of this mediocre and overrated chain.

I'm inclined to agree. However, it could be much worse - it could have been a bank. At least there's demand (strangely, infinitely elastic demand) for Starbucks - there'll be people and streetlife.

I am in the commercial real estate business and word is it is NOT a Starbucks but some "New York" style coffee shop. So good. The other space in the building is to be a kind of business centre for shorter term office space rental.
I'm inclined to agree. However, it could be much worse - it could have been a bank. At least there's demand (strangely, infinitely elastic demand) for Starbucks - there'll be people and streetlife.

Back