Toronto The Dineen Building | ?m | 5s | Commercial Realty G. | George Robb

It's too bad the 2 smaller buildings beside this one, are a disaster. It's a perfect opportunity for redevelopment. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

New rooftop floor is fully enclosed with glass.
From this morning: (sorry about the quality)
dsc0207nx.jpg

dsc0205fw.jpg

The additional floor didn't work out that well, though it's not bad. In the Junction, we've seen several heritage blocks get an additional floor. The additions are set back from the facade so you can barely see them from the street. In this instance, the building is rather narrow and probably couldn't accommodate much of a setback for an additional floor, so a historicist approach to the addition might have been better.

Urgh. What a clunker of a top. The building was looking so good!

Well, the original building is so strong it just goes to show how creatively and architecturally impoverished we've become. Or, at least symptom of what we'll accept. It also shouldn't be too hard to remove in the future, should the opportunity arise.

I honestly think the addition would have looked better if it was 3 or 4 floors (of the same dark glass material). But yea not loving it.

I honestly think the addition would have looked better if it was 3 or 4 floors (of the same dark glass material). But yea not loving it.

My thoughts exactly. Like a certain other building in lawerence, which turned out great.

Can they add a few floors to the two buildings next to it to even things out a bit? Both and rapidly deteriorating and need some reno work.

It's a very narrow building, but if they could have at least set the new top-floor addition back from Yonge Street, it would really help the massing of the old building read separately from this new "top hat".

It's a shame because after it was restored it looked amazing, but this addition has detracted from that success.

Agreed that it's a handsome building compromised by a wretched top. Shame it happened, but in the end I'm still happy to see the Dineen Building still stands and looks smartly refreshed... for the most part.

I am not overly concerned - it's aesthetically wanting, but at least the structure itself is restored. It should be easy enough to rectify this issue when the time comes.

That said, just thinking how much better it would have looked with low-iron glass and curved glazing for the corners.

AoD

Back