Toronto The Bentway (was Under Gardiner) | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

What should be the permanent name for the park under the Gardiner?

• The Artery

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • The Bentway

Votes: 77 42.1%
  • Under Gardiner

Votes: 52 28.4%
  • None of the above

Votes: 42 23.0%

• Total voters
Somewhat related, segments under the Gardiner North/South streets along downtown will be redeveloped to be made more “people friendly”.

Rees Street will be the first.

I don’t have access beyond the Globe’s paywall but here’s the link for those who do:

Here's the same story in The Star (no paywall)

Thanks to Nuit Blanche landing "near" the moon was possible ;-)

Let's face it - this crumbling dina(sour) is here for another 20-30 years. Other options in the past 2 or 3 decades were ignored like a pre-Cityplace cut and cover. This monster is here to stay. I don't know the painful projected maintenance numbers (or commuter interruptions) to keep it standing.

But Nuit Blanche showed some band-aid solutions more than worthy of longer term consideration (for non-drivers). Bentway skate-path was a nice idea.

I think a cut of the maintenance budget should go directly to "under" projects.

Don't think we need a billion dollar canopy or other defining masterpiece on top of the traffic. That's really only for for highrise views. So let's make as much as we can to growing "under" the Gardiner.

Exactly. It's a beast, and it's here for the long haul. Maybe it will be gone in 50yrs, maybe 100. But in the interim why twiddle thumbs. Make it nice. And we really don't need to break the bank doing so. I'm sure Nuit Blanche showed it well this year (I didn't see it), but Richmond/Adelaide ramps have been astounding and predate the Bentway. Changes can be made.

One thing I do wonder is with the film industry. Is it possible the City wants the underside of the Gardiner to remain drab for no other reason than it makes a popular film location as is?

I'm sorry if this is a repeat, but there was a blurb in Waterfront Toronto board meeting minutes that the bridge will no longer be built.

I'm sorry if this is a repeat, but there was a blurb in Waterfront Toronto board meeting minutes that the bridge will no longer be built.
Yes, this is also in the Dashboard for the Board meeting.(page 14 of https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe...&CACHEID=479b9cfe-357f-4587-82ca-fe15f28789ed )

Stupid question, but given the mild weather was this track "piped" for freezing (missed that). In other news it hit 14C in NIagara today and snowstorms in Southern California. Another example of the paradigm shift for wannabe TV weather forecasters ;-)

This from the Investment, Real Estate and Quayside Committee Meeting April 16, 2020

 On Friday April 3rd, the Province has expanded the list of non-essential businesses which were required to close as of April 5th. We have reviewed and determined that the Port Lands Flood Protection (PLFP), Cherry Street Stormwater Treatment Facility (CSSTF) and Bayside Phase 2 roads and services projects are essential infrastructure projects and as such will remain active unless new direction is provided by government.
 Management has determined that the following pending projects are not essential pursuant to the Provincial Emergency Order. These projects are not currently under construction and will not proceed into construction until the Provincial Order has been rescinded.
 Bonnycastle public realm completion
 Lake Shore Blvd pilot project at Monde Condominiums
 East Bayfront In-water Storm Sewer Pipe
 Bentway Phase 2 Projects
 Waterfront Reconnect (Gardiner Expwy bent painting)

This from the Investment, Real Estate and Quayside Committee Meeting April 16, 2020

 On Friday April 3rd, the Province has expanded the list of non-essential businesses which were required to close as of April 5th. We have reviewed and determined that the Port Lands Flood Protection (PLFP), Cherry Street Stormwater Treatment Facility (CSSTF) and Bayside Phase 2 roads and services projects are essential infrastructure projects and as such will remain active unless new direction is provided by government.
 Management has determined that the following pending projects are not essential pursuant to the Provincial Emergency Order. These projects are not currently under construction and will not proceed into construction until the Provincial Order has been rescinded.
 Bonnycastle public realm completion
 Lake Shore Blvd pilot project at Monde Condominiums
 East Bayfront In-water Storm Sewer Pipe
 Bentway Phase 2 Projects
 Waterfront Reconnect (Gardiner Expwy bent painting)
What was actually supposed to be part of Bentway Phase 2?

On WT website

Request for Proposals (RFP) #2020-27: Construction Services - Bentway Phase 1B Project​

(01/2021)

This Request for Proposals (the “RFP”) is an invitation by Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation (“Waterfront Toronto") to prospective firms to submit proposals for Construction Services for the Bentway Phase 1B Project, as further described in the RFP documents.To view this opportunity, please visit Waterfront Toronto's Bonfire Portal website at https://waterfrontoronto.bonfirehub.ca.

Back