Toronto Terrace on the Danforth | ?m | 7s | Liberty Development | CMV

Seems like a good design trapped in a not so good design.

I will never need to hear another comment about this building, that one is so perfect.

Seems like a good design trapped in a not so good design.

I will never need to hear another comment about this building, that one is so perfect.
hah, that's so true. If that sentence were used in any other context I'd say it makes no sense, but looking at the building it somehow makes perfect sense. Good one, SD.

The cap, while an interesting shape, also feels rather oppressive: there's just too much solid wall way up there.

I do like the good design part of it.

Y'know, at least they're trying. Anyone know who the architect is on this?

Dan, it's Icon Developments. I also share you views about the top. This building just seems too small to support a crown like this, perhaps if it were clad in some other lighter looking material it might work. I like it because it's different, I hate it because it's ugly.

I don't mind it, actually - it would look decent if it's black brick a la Opera House. They should lose the rounded corner though, and settle a truncated version that has more in common with Hudson (besides, overhang costs money, right?)

AoD

^ Opera House-ish brick is exactly what might ruin it...down with shoddy masonry!

Canuck 36 is spot on - this is a brown DIA, a 'Back to the Future' DIA, perhaps.

scarberian:

How is brickwork at the Opera House "shoddy", exactly?

AoD

hah, that's so true. If that sentence were used in any other context I'd say it makes no sense, but looking at the building it somehow makes perfect sense. Good one, SD.

I thought that might only make sense to me. I guess great minds do think alike.

Maybe I can take over for Hume ;) .

I sort of like it and agree it looks very northern European.

I was told that the Condo at Warden and Danforth is a new design from Amsterdam. I just came back from Europe and they're new Building's look somewhat like this one.

What is the purpose of that massive crown/nose/thing/protrusion up top? I does remind me of something European- maybe 3rd rate Dutch architecture? All the same, the rendering confuses me.

p5

It doesn't hurt my mind. But somehow, btw/its design and its location (and its Netherlandishness), it seems more like a co-op that somehow came unmoored from the Bob Rae era and landed in the here and now--as a "condo".
Which I don't mind; or maybe it's just that little bit of Social Democrat in me...

Back