IMG_2159.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,333
  • IMG_2159.jpg
    IMG_2159.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,318
Hate to be an optimist around you folks but there is no way you design something this cool and use crappy cladding, this will be iconic.

Iconic? Let's not kid ourselves. It won't look bad by any stretch and the podium is certainly interesting, but Ten York Street won't stand out in the slightest.

It's just another green/blue glass condo in Southcore. Would you call this an iconic render?

ten-york-tridel.jpg

Why not, looks to be the best looking structure in the midst of that shite
Iconic is just a really strong word to describe a fairly average looking condo in a neighbourhood characterized by similar building aesthetics, is all.

Meanwhile, the CN Tower is iconic because it was the tallest freestanding structure in the world for decades and is the focal point of our skyline. First Canadian Place is iconic because it's the tallest building in Canada. I'd even say One Bloor East is iconic because it's a standout design at one of Toronto's most important intersections. Ten York Street? Nothing iconic about it.

I wont call it iconic but its a sleek tower. iconic would be something like Mirvish/Gehry towers, one Bloor by Hariri, 45 bay st, etc

Ok not as iconic as the CN tower. But certainly not average. Given its unusual but prime location, unique podium and its height this tower will be very visible, when entering the city, from the islands etc. I certainly hope that they make good choices on the cladding, but this isn't just an average condo, and has a lot of potential.

Yeah, the pessimistic view is that the podium is largely obscured by the Gardiner (and by tall surrounding buildings) and the tower itself really isn't anything special. As someone mentioned earlier, if they'd carried through a more triangular, podium-esque design up the tower and/or opted for a less traditional cladding design, maybe we'd be onto something bordering on iconic.

From most angles, though, I think this is going to look more or less like any other tower on the skyline (though, yes, not as bad as some) unless we're somehow pleasantly surprised by a diversion from the renderings.

Two years from now, with Ten York complete, and Harbour Street theoretically rebuilt following the removal of the York/Bay/Yonge off ramps, this spot will look a fair bit different, and less obscured at minimum. "Icon" is a tough status to actually attain despite being thrown around by hopeful marketers, but "landmark" might not be too far off the mark. With the right cladding/glazing on it, that podium is going to be tough to ignore, no matter what the tower brings to the mix.

Thanks a lot urbanoptic for your great shots and update,,, would you plz tell us those photos are taken on which floor?

Many thanks

Back