Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

KABOOM!...as reported by Caltrane74 over at SSP...

"anyone pondering the current state of Toronto’s condo market may want to take note of the rip-roaring success of Tridel’s recently launched ten york project.

The 65-storey glass tower — which will rise from a wedge-shaped site at york and harbour sts. — has been regarded as a bellwether, a development whose sales performance this fall would offer an indication of the health of a condo market that some analysts believe has become oversupplied.

Of the 600 units at Ten York released to date, 532 had been sold as of early November. If the Toronto condo market is cooling, “you sure as heck wouldn’t have known that from what was happening at our sales office,†notes Jim Ritchie, Tridel’s senior vice president of sales and marketing."

http://www.thestar.com/living/realestate/condos/article/1288463--looking-up

Of note from the article:

“(Changing the design of the tower) allowed us also to push the building, including the base, further to the west, which will create wider pedestrian access along York St.,” notes Ritchie.

The tower redesign also saw the parking garage, originally proposed to be above-grade, moved underground, freeing up space in the podium. The base of the building will now feature a glass-enclosed lobby with 30-foot-high ceilings.

“We’ve created a pretty spectacular lobby space,” says Ten York’s architect Rudy Wallman. “Because it’s so high and transparent, it will act as an extension of the sidewalk.”

Despite the tower being knocked down from 75 storeys to 65, changes to the form of the building resulted in a negligible reduction in the number of suites, from 774 to 694.

The new building design also minimizes the use of balconies. West-facing suites will have them, as will units on the northeast and southeast corners of the tower, but the north and south facades will be glass curtain walls.

“I think that’s a huge bonus visually,” Wallman says. “We don’t have to deal with inset or projecting balconies, which really give residential buildings the look they have, which tends to be cluttered if not handled well.

Here it’s going to be very sleek and finished looking; more like a commercial building.”

Sounds like Tridel is putting some quality into this. Hopefully those pre-cast or concrete strips on the west facade will turn out nicely. Imagine if those were marble? That would be lavish.

This building will most likely not be completed until 2018, so this long closing is the stuff that investors really love and go all over for.
All the sales were done with no sales centre at all, so it looks like it's all investor-bought.

Occupancy is anticipated for Summer/Fall of 2017, with typical construction delays that will probably stretch to sometime early 2018.

Hmm, Harbour Plaza which has yet to hit the market is set to be completed by Fall of 2016... which makes me think that this development will also be done by about that time

Just Posted by Tridel:

Ten York Launch and Neighbourhood

[video=youtube_share;u33m-DVoyOM]http://youtu.be/u33m-DVoyOM[/video]

Last edited:
They were told to incorporate the shape of the site into the design ... sorry I just don't see how that happened, they could have done so much more in that respect, less the podium it self.

Honestly I think I preferred the original design (just in the sense it was different) and am surprised this got through the design board ... I guess they were told to go back and they likely just accepted whatever they re-submitted, or the critique was subdued.

Back