Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Aren't they building this so the roof gradually fades away into the sky? That sounds far wilder to me than a slanted roof.

Unless they're going for a full on Tour Sans Fin à la Jean Nouvel, that mildly unbelievable.

Throwing a slanted roof here, or a random curve there doesn't make for great architecture. Rather, it's a step backwards, suggesting an architect has run out of ideas. Obviously curves and slanted roofs have their place, but not all the time. Adding random design elements last minute is akin to putting hood scoops on a car that doesn't have a turbo or supercharger. It's just pointless ornamentation for the sake of it.

Throwing a slanted roof here, or a random curve there doesn't make for great architecture. Rather, it's a step backwards, suggesting an architect has run out of ideas. Obviously curves and slanted roofs have their place, but not all the time. Adding random design elements last minute is akin to putting hood scoops on a car that doesn't have a turbo or supercharger. It's just pointless ornamentation for the sake of it.

Maybe so, but you certainly can't say that Toronto has too many curves or slanted rooves.

Rooves?

I suppose on the analogy hoof > hooves, dwarf > dwarves, staff > staves, elf > elves.

So if Toronto was in Middle-Earth, "rooves" would be correct.

Last edited:
Not too many, but not necessarily too little either; it's not like we have a quota to hit. I say let the design language of our new buildings evolve naturally, and besides, we've definitely got a few unique roof lines coming in the near future (L, 1 Bloor, and Ice come to mind).

The key is integrating these things into the general design earlier on. 10 York's design can handle a slanted roof, but I think Tridel's just being economical. It's not a bad thing, but rather disappointing that our skyline from the waterfront will look even boxier in a few years to come.

The key is integrating these things into the general design earlier on. 10 York's design can handle a slanted roof, but I think Tridel's just being economical. It's not a bad thing, but rather disappointing that our skyline from the waterfront will look even boxier in a few years to come.

A slanted roof would likely be a steel frame on top of the building, like the Ritz's, but also like what they're doing with the roof already. The steel and glass fins are a non-structural, decorative addition that happen to create the illusion of a flat roof rather than a slanted roof.

My point being that the fins, along with the extruded facade, suggest that Tridel isn't being cheap with the design; rather they've decided that a slanted roof (or some other "unique" design feature) isn't the route they want to take. Perhaps our skyline will continue look "boxy", but the growing sentiment that developers and architects are being cheap is unfounded. If anything, the non-standard floorplate that will result from the protruding facade, as well as the aforementioned fins, will be just as complex as building a roof that isn't flat.

A slanted roof would likely be a steel frame on top of the building, like the Ritz's, but also like what they're doing with the roof already. The steel and glass fins are a non-structural, decorative addition that happen to create the illusion of a flat roof rather than a slanted roof.

My point being that the fins, along with the extruded facade, suggest that Tridel isn't being cheap with the design; rather they've decided that a slanted roof (or some other "unique" design feature) isn't the route they want to take. Perhaps our skyline will continue look "boxy", but the growing sentiment that developers and architects are being cheap is unfounded. If anything, the non-standard floorplate that will result from the protruding facade, as well as the aforementioned fins, will be just as complex as building a roof that isn't flat.

To the contrary, the top few concrete floors of the Ritz-Carlton slope away along with the roof, if I remember correctly. Still, the sloping roof is a significant part of the overall design as compared to Ten York, where the protruding boxes are more like facade-dressing- it's essentially a box in drag. The wonders of a box is the fact that any simple shape works well with it, here, a sloped roof would definitely not be out of place!

Let's look at cruzin4u's proposal again:
120harbour-test.jpg

The current design:
120HarbourRend-Aerial2.jpg

75 floors straight up to a flat roof. I'd argue that Ten York's floorplates are more standard as compared to those of the L Tower, the Ritz or even Aura! If Tridel wanted a landmark design with setbacks and sloped roofs, we would have gotten one. Instead, we've gotten a conservative design- hopefully this design will emphasize the quality of materials instead.

toronto is a city of boxes, move to shanghai if you don't like it

Classic "Go away if you don't like it" attitude. Nope, no can do- I like this city and I'll stay even if I don't like the skyline!

Last edited:
Rudy Wallman was very definite that the design cues for this building come from the northern lights. The vertical strips of extending windows, all angled a bit differently, are meant to evoke the shimmer of the northern lights, while the sheathing of the mechanical box is meant to join this building to the sky. While the fins reach strikingly upwards, the sheath's neutral surface is meant to let the rest of the top dissolve into the sky. That is not to say that the uppermost edge will be invisible, but it should recede enough into the background to suggest a melding, and may in some climatic conditions actually obscure the meeting point of building and sky.

At nighttime, as I reported in the front page article, the sheath will likely act as a screen - material makeup unknown at this point - for a northern lights show of a sort, likely with LED technology.

Rudy said nothing about any slants or peaks on the roof, because, as I believe, he is not looking to emphasize the roof: he is looking to minimize it here, to blend it away.

I am very keen to seen how all of this is realized, and I hope we get something that satisfies Mr. Wallman's vision, all of it, for this building. We have a very promising plan here.

The city..Hey Wally, it must be square and may get chopped down..lol:D

Interesting article on Ten York, from the Star

Ten York will link downtown with the waterfront

The original design for the Ten York tower had a triangular “footprint” to correspond with the site. But the city expressed concern that the building was “too broad” on the east-west axis and “not a good fit with the neighbouring buildings,” Wallman says. “They thought a more compact, square-shaped building would be more appropriate.”

So he tweaked the design and returned with a plan that located the tower on the easternmost end of the site, where there’s the most room to work with. The base of the building retains the wedge-like shape.

This will be the tallest tower Tridel has ever built. The development application has just been filed with the city, and Ritchie cautions that the tower’s height and mix of units may change as the project wends its way through the approvals process.
“It may not be where we end up, but that’s where we’d like to start,”

With that in mind, the city is looking at demolishing the eastbound York St. offramp and having a new ramp exit at Simcoe St.
“Harbour will then become a grade-related street,” says Wallman — a welcome improvement to be sure.

http://www.thestar.com/article/1091403--ten-york-will-link-downtown-with-the-waterfront

Last edited:

Back