Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

I'm not sure I get your point, I mean you can only perceive the flat-ironyness of the Gooderham Building from one side too. That's the nature of a flat iron building, no?

Yes, but with the Gooderham building, the view can be enjoyed from one of the nicest pedestrian stretches in the city. Tourists are always hanging out on the Front Street median taking photos of the building. I seriously hope people won't be taking the time to admire this building while they're driving 90km/h down the Gardiner. And if they're crawling at 10km/h during rush hour, they're probably not in the mood to appreciate architecture.

Yes, but with the Gooderham building, the view can be enjoyed from one of the nicest pedestrian stretches in the city. Tourists are always hanging out on the Front Street median taking photos of the building. I seriously hope people won't be taking the time to admire this building while they're driving 90km/h down the Gardiner. And if they're crawling at 10km/h during rush hour, they're probably not in the mood to appreciate architecture.

To be fair, if someone driving sees the building for two seconds every day, or even multiple times in a year, they'll get to know the architecture. Passengers in cars will be able to observe it too. It's not an absolutely discountable perspective, but not a particularly meaningful one either.

Even if their crowns are read as spires or triangles of sorts, the bodies and podiums of both those iconic structures are boxes and are meant to be read as such.

There's a world of difference between a building that employs boxes i.e ESB and a minimalistic box i.e Karma, Murano, Clear Spirits, U Condo etc.

Which is not to say that all buildings in the former category are desirable and all buildings in the latter category are bland or boring. But to equate one to the other solely on the fact that they both employ a box/boxes within their designs is overly simplistic.

by me

565.png

press conference tomorrow!

"A triangular plot of land near the foot of York Street will be the site of a proposed residential skyscraper soaring 75 storeys.

Details of the Tridel development are to be unveiled at a press conference Tuesday morning that will include officials from Build Toronto, the real estate branch whose job it is to sell surplus city properties."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/11/21/even-at-816-feet-proposed-75-storey-condo-building-still-wont-be-torontos-tallest/

edit: congrats to UT for the press coverage!

Last edited:
Too bad they all look like boxes. It would be nice to have a few more interesting rooftops in the city.

Oh come on, don't you think you're expecting too much from Boxonto....err, i mean Toronto (also known as Greyonto)? What's next? Sooner or later you'll start expecting the 'greater downtown area' to have proper roads (i.e. no potholes, cracks and unevenness); proper and even wider sidewalks with no stains, asphalt patches and trash; proper streetscape in terms of street lights, benches, trash cans, and underground hydropoles, etc., along with a clean-up of some of the really unattractive areas like 10 Dundas East's exterior, and improvements to dilipidated buildings (like north of City Hall on west of Bay Street, etc.). And don't you or anyone else dare think that given Toronto has Canada's largest downtown and the fact that we're hosting the Pan-Am games, which should supposedly act as a catalyst to get things improved, these things should be a no-brainer, as that is completely out-of-line! :)

Hey! UT got some major press here. Hope we get some more members interested in urban development to join our site.

As for my rendering, it doesn't show the curves of ICE which is to the left of the 120 Harbour render, and I left out L Tower all together.

and hope everyone noticed that this one is planned to be taller than Aura....

Back