Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Overall I like the design of the tower, I do wish they had those fin-looking extensions at the top from an earlier render though.

EDIT: There we go:

003e120harbour.jpg

Not sure who posted this idea before, but I am inclined to agree that if it needs to remain a box due to site constraints, cost constraints and builder financing etc., then why not just rotate the building on its vertical axis 45 degrees? I am dumbfounded by how orthogonal and rectilinear all of our buildings are. It is most certainly always the case of cost vs. profit scenario - the same can be said for more sustainable buildings, when the truth is to build more sustainably is marginally higher (approx 2%) in comparison to standard building practices. Ultimately, better design, more sustainable and aesthetic design will outperform, outlast and be overall cheaper to maintain.

p5

Not sure who posted this idea before, but I am inclined to agree that if it needs to remain a box due to site constraints, cost constraints and builder financing etc., then why not just rotate the building on its vertical axis 45 degrees? I am dumbfounded by how orthogonal and rectilinear all of our buildings are. It is most certainly always the case of cost vs. profit scenario - the same can be said for more sustainable buildings, when the truth is to build more sustainably is marginally higher (approx 2%) in comparison to standard building practices. Ultimately, better design, more sustainable and aesthetic design will outperform, outlast and be overall cheaper to maintain.

p5

It's always a cost issue for condos. The developer has no long term interest in the building. It's sold, then it's built and they are out of there. Office buildings tend to be different because either the landlord/owner intends to own the building long term and is very interested in a building that will sell easily or the anchor tenent is vitally interested in a quality building as they have their name on it.

But Condos? Who cares. Once they are done building it - so long.

I would love to see a 50 metre spire on top of this tower. I think it could use something distinct on top. Depending on the height as well it may bring this tower over 300 metres.

I'm the first to admit that I'm a dreamer and that the market, developers' costs and technical challenges can limit what gets built, but I'd like to be surprised once in a while. Real creativity should step in to overcome these challenges and still provide more visual appeal.

I'm still holding out for something special at 90 Harbour...

It is possible to meet the challenges of sites and produce the most functional buildings without a pure box. Remember that series on Vancouver architecture here at UT? Not everything was that exciting, but architects there seem to commonly flout the box with gentle curves and angular balconies while still producing very functional, New Modernist condo towers. You can have a curved facade and still have square rooms inside for arranging furniture! Blocking a breathtaking view through an all-glass facade wall with a lot of furniture doesn't make sense anyway.

Something more angular here would have worked better with the flatiron podium. I understand that there are very good reasons for not having a wedge-shaped tower at this location with a lot of blocked views and a point that would be mainly seen from the Gardiner. The flatiron podium is a good compromise in this case, but the wedge bringing the eye to this massive box behind it is jarring. A more angular tower would be better to compliment the podium's interesting point.

Aerial view of Toronto skyline circa 2050... ;)

41tMrb%2BAWbL.jpg

I really did laugh out loud. Thanks for the laughs. Seriously though, I think the circles on the roofs are a little too radical for this conservative city and might be misconstrued as kitsch or dare I say it... 905!

I really did laugh out loud. Thanks for the laughs. Seriously though, I think the circles on the roofs are a little too radical for this conservative city and might be misconstrued as kitsch or dare I say it... 905!

Oh yeah?

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/11/scale-model-reveals-more-detail-karmas-design

Scroll down to the part regarding the oval mechanical structure. Though, the rectangular framing around it will probably still generate cries of "another aA box!1".

<snip-snip>

... and a myriad of mediocre boxes (Spire, Murano, etc), but come on Toronto, it's time to shake off this grey conservatism and add some flair.

Gasp!

forgive my crude sketch, but i think something like this would provide a smoother transition from the wedge to the tower, without blocking too many views.... although im sure a lot of people will gag at my adjustment
GNEsE.jpg

forgive my crude sketch, but i think something like this would provide a smoother transition from the wedge to the tower, without blocking too many views.... although im sure a lot of people will gag at my adjustment

Good idea, I wouldn't disagree but it could cause those wind load problems on the structure, I don't buy the whole 'loss of views' argument.

GNEsE.jpg

kinda like that

YEQgW.jpg

Scroll down to the part regarding the oval mechanical structure. Though, the rectangular framing around it will probably still generate cries of "another aA box!1".

Too funny! Clewes has stolen my design. But yeah, the rectangular framing makes it look like yet another aA box! Multiply this by 3000 and sprinkle in a bit more "Toronto Grey" (Benjamin Moore Paint Code 2137-60) and my vision will be complete.

To everyone else, sorry I've gone off topic but it's important some opposing views are in this forum, or it's just a bunch of folks stroking each other's boxes.

Last edited:

Back