Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Re: Telus announces new office tower in downtown Toronto

Or a developer prudently building what the market will bear and no more? Or a building that is being purpose built for a tenant?

"The city has no 'skyline-contextual' plan, whatever that would be."

shadowing?

I dont think it should be any taller given the area its in. Look at the harbourfront buildings. Ugly buildings dont deserve to be that tall. This building while it looks better, should only be about this height, either that or a much thinner building.

"Skyline-contextual"--I dunno; maybe blocking the Royal York or something...

The Royal York isn't on the water, it's a kilometre away, in the financial district surrounded by skyscrapers. There's no reason for it to be seen from the water.

Then they shouldn't have wasted time on its sign, then, if it's going to be hidden from view everyplace. (Remember the sign controversy?)

I love the view from the lake of the Royal York and its background of skyscrapers. It would be a shame to lose that, although I suppose it would be worth it for something spectacular.

Waterclub and the Harbourcastle has already blocked most of the view of the sign from the lake.

In any event, the presence of Union Station and the railway tracks should ensure a field of view for the Royal York; if not from the lake, then from a number of nearby vantage points. It's not like a building is going to go up right across the road (at least, so long as nobody builds over the tracks...)

The city abandoned any attempt at creating a skyline with towers gently stepping back from the lake 30 years ago when Harbour Square went ahead, with two even taller lakefront towers added in 1990. The Maple Leaf Square towers will be taller still at 50 and 54 storeys. Trying to preserve a non-existent view corridor of the Royal York hotel - unlikely, since it isn't even a civic building - is rather like shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted.

The view from the lake is irrelevent - it's the view from the Gardiner that counts...

Lets just hope that whatever new vistas are created are as nice as the ones they inevitably replace.

I walked by today...the upright metal poles for hoardings are being placed into holes drilled in the sidewalk. It's beginning.

I was by on Sunday and noticed the excavator gone so I figured it still would be a while. I guess not.

Back