Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Re: Telus announces new office tower in downtown Toronto

I really like the design elements, but hate the proportions. There's a similar building in Canary Wharf however it is treated as a "horizontal" rectangle (turn Telus 90 degrees) and looks terrific.

This tower needs a stairmaster because the materials look pretty great but the shape lands with a thud... the quicky below hints at the potential.

telus2.jpg

vs.

pic_home.jpg

I am not sure why they have a logo on it. MLSE buildings are much higher and block the view from the south. 18 Yonge blocks it from the east. The core blocks it from the north. The only decent view of it is from the west and that is only until Fairmount builds something on it's land. I kind of think they should ask for more density and go for something like 3D suggested. Then maybe the Telus logo will be seen.

I agree that it is too short. The Telus building will disappear behind the condos and end up being as visible as the Telus building next to One King West. I think the Bay Adelaide proposal has more potential.

until Fairmount builds something on it's land.

I'm pretty sure Fairmont sold that land.

A mix of buildings, including building heights makes the city interesting. It's still a height worthy of a core, IMO. The logo should be nice and visible from the Gardiner up the York Street corridor.

And it shouldn't loom too much over the future glass trainshed at Union Station. :D

So Menkes owns both corners.

TORONTO, Dec. 23 /CNW/ - Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Inc. ("Fairmont" or
the "Company") (TSX/NYSE: FHR) today announced that it has completed the sale
of land in Toronto's Southtown to Menkes Union Tower Inc. Fairmont received
gross proceeds of Cdn$30.5 million, resulting in a gain of approximately
Cdn$8.2 million. This gain was not included in our full-year earnings
guidance. It will impact 2005 EBITDA but will not change Fairmont's 2005
Adjusted EBITDA guidance.
As part of its ongoing strategy, Fairmont continues to pursue sale
opportunities for the remaining land blocks in downtown Toronto. The Company
has recently entered into separate agreements to sell additional blocks of
Southtown land. The sales are expected to close in the next several quarters.

Anytime the Leafs or Raptors have a televised game we always have a few live helicopter shots, Telus regardless of height will be getting tons of exposure from that location. We should be more concerned with the materials used and the designs of structures that are popping up out of the traditional business core area. I think this building looks as though it will complement the area, and the simple and exposed structural elements will give it a modern classy feel when seen from the street or sky. What if it were taller? We might only be getting a simple glass box like we are about to get in the CBD. I strongly believe that this building when complete will be a favorite among many of you on this site. If I’m wrong I’ll buy the first round at the first meet after its completion.

If it’s height everybody’s after then we need only look West with the anticipated start South of Roy Thompson Hall, and the release of Shangri-La, not to mention 4 Seasons.

It is too bad that this site is being developed into a tower. I would have liked to have seen a permanent stage built up against the elevated rail tracks. A nice public plaza could have been made out of this space since much of the area around the ACC is being developed. When the Leafs are playing, there could have been outdoor concerts and events using this space. Look to the north to see the concert event, look to the south to see the big screens on Maple Leaf Suare.
The Telus tower could have been built on the other side of York in that wasteland that is a sometimes parking lot across from Infinity.

"The Telus tower could have been built on the other side of York in that wasteland that is a sometimes parking lot across from Infinity. "

that's for the next phase

When the Leafs are playing, there could have been outdoor concerts and events using this space.

Because there's nothing so fun as standing outside down there at night in the depths of winter.

If I’m wrong I’ll buy the first round at the first meet after its completion.

Mine's a Guiness. Cheers.

garden of evil: it won't be HUGE, but there will still be a public square capable of hosting outdoor events in amongst the ACC, MLS, and Telus; the new tower will not go all the way over to the ACC.

There's a hydraulic excavator on-site, wandering around as if the driver left for lunch and forgot to turn it off. Site prep begins I guess.

either that, or the hydraulic excavator takeover has finally come

^^

shovel.jpg

Back