Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

The spire is missing from newer renderings, so we can only assume that won't be a part of it anymore, unfortunately.

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

Smuncky: thank you for the huge wealth of photos you added today!

This photo covers a number of projects and it can be place in them. You got GO new Station platform, ACC expansion, MLS, ICE, 18 York, Pinnacle, Telus as well the skyline and Simcoe St.

Concrete being pour for the Simcoe Rd sidewalks and still some time away from being open.

3116912517_2a10a97e43_b.jpg

Telus really should have been taller.

Could you imagine if they had built the ACC at Yonge/Sheppard. How different this area would have been. I think it's obvious that the construction of the ACC galvanized the area.

glass and steel

it's interesting how architects slowly converge within a given time.

just like scotiabank, first canadian, and bce (with their stone facades and striking colours of the 1970's), rbc, telus, and bay/adelaide will be illustrations of the 2000's love affair with glass and steel.

it's interesting how architects slowly converge within a given time.

just like scotiabank, first canadian, and bce (with their stone facades and striking colours of the 1970's), rbc, telus, and bay/adelaide will be illustrations of the 2000's love affair with glass and steel.

I think these curtain wall type claddings are here to stay. I soon predict a wide adoption of solucent meshes.

i hope you're wrong

no offense 000, but i pray to whatever god you guys believe in that solucent meshes do not become a trend, hahahaha.

i don't think the glass curtain will have much longevity. i see it remaining popular for the next 10 years or so.

personally, i think it is elegant, but it can be a tad boring and repetitive. also, when the architect affords to use bland colours, or plain glass, i feel it really takes away from the building's dynamism.

lisa rochon seems to agree: http://www.lisarochon.com/writing2.28.html
i'm not going to be as dramatic and say these buildings have "doomed" our skyline, nor do i ever want to sound as pretentious as this lady (yikes, what a stiff - if her and christopher hume made love, they would produce a monocle instead of a baby).

anyway, like all architecture, i think the glass and steel/concrete will eventually be replaced. most likely, but hopefully not, by something cheaper!

Hopefully we'll come full circle and start using more stone and brick again. I don't mind glass, but concrete should be banned as a finishing material.

no offense 000, but i pray to whatever god you guys believe in that solucent meshes do not become a trend, hahahaha.

i don't think the glass curtain will have much longevity. i see it remaining popular for the next 10 years or so.

personally, i think it is elegant, but it can be a tad boring and repetitive. also, when the architect affords to use bland colours, or plain glass, i feel it really takes away from the building's dynamism.

lisa rochon seems to agree: http://www.lisarochon.com/writing2.28.html
i'm not going to be as dramatic and say these buildings have "doomed" our skyline, nor do i ever want to sound as pretentious as this lady (yikes, what a stiff - if her and christopher hume made love, they would produce a monocle instead of a baby).

anyway, like all architecture, i think the glass and steel/concrete will eventually be replaced. most likely, but hopefully not, by something cheaper!

i don't necessarily agree. i think we've always had a fasination with glass as a material and only in the last 20 or so years have we begun to use it in more extraodinary ways. there are some very interesting projects that push the boundaries of what glass can do and how it can be implented in a building.

one example is the Xicui Entertainment Complex in Beijing where PV cells are incorporated into the glass and an array of LED lights behind each glass panel make up "pixels" to form a display.

schott is also doing some amazing things with glass.

as technology progresses, i think we'll seeing many new ways to use glass and incorporating different systems like PV cells, lights, and color. not to mention the on going progress of the maximum size of sheet glass that can be produced.

you might be right.

i agree that glass has always been a fascination, but it is getting a little overdone in toronto. it's easy to use it because its affordable and conservative.

i also agree that concrete is almost always a poor finishing material. still, there ARE some exemptions. i think canada's concrete masterpiece is the national gallery in ottawa: http://www.fineart.utoronto.ca/canarch/ontario/ottawa.jpgs/ott-4.jpg and http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2639205519_80ce61d2b3.jpg
perfect use of glass and concrete. not to mention very beautiful.

i similarly agree that architects will innovate new ways to interpret materials, but not necessarily glass. i think gehry and libeskind's foundation of striking/shimmering metals, mixed with glass, will generally dominate.

i myself, love the old brick, steel and stone. i'm a sucker for our victorian, georgian and edwardian homes. and as far as skyscrapers go, nothing beats deco. all praise the skyscraper god, NYC.

i also agree that concrete is almost always a poor finishing material. still, there ARE some exemptions. i think canada's concrete masterpiece is the national gallery in ottawa: http://www.fineart.utoronto.ca/canarch/ontario/ottawa.jpgs/ott-4.jpg and http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2639205519_80ce61d2b3.jpg
perfect use of glass and concrete. not to mention very beautiful.

Though there's an argument to be made for the suave retro-brutalist approach of Moriyama's Canadian War Museum...

This photo covers a number of projects and it can be place in them. You got GO new Station platform, ACC expansion, MLS, ICE, 18 York, Pinnacle, Telus as well the skyline and Simcoe St.

3116912517_2a10a97e43_b.jpg

I see all the sites and buildings that you have mentioned,but i am a bit puzzled on what they are building on the site west of 18 York south of the tracks.

Back