Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

People need to lighten up slightly rather than huffily pursuing ways to be offended and outraged.

Unless you're also 'equally' offended at terms like Continental cuisine, South American, African, North American culture etc. Lets see what they do? Would a term like Indian-inspired also offend since there are countless regions, religions, dialects in India?

Asian-inspired is not racist however much you wish it was.

I never do this but....+1.

People need to lighten up slightly rather than huffily pursuing ways to be offended and outraged.

Unless you're also 'equally' offended at terms like Continental cuisine, South American, African, North American culture etc. Lets see what they do? Would a term like Indian-inspired also offend since there are countless regions, religions, dialects in India?

Asian-inspired is not racist however much you wish it was.

(smh as I type this...) Dude, I didn't say it was racist--nice of you to put words in my mouth. I was being sarcastic about the marketer using such a vague and inclusive phrase that it becomes meaningless--seeing as how more than half the world's pop. is Asian.

Good marketing should provide a somewhat specific image so as to be engaging. Asia includes so many vastly different regions that no single image comes to mind. The Middle East, Korea, India, China, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Mongolia, Kazakhstan etc, don't exactly blend together to become a unified, coherent vision. "Indian inspired" actually does paint an image for me, and actually would constitute meaningful ad copy.

Maybe it turns out you wrote the condo ad copy in discussion hereand I hurt your feelings. If so, apologies all around. Live and learn as they say. But, keep in mind, you were the first in this charming exchange to use the loaded phrase "racist". So, that one's on you.

Now, mods, please steer this thread back to the much-anticipated, can't imagine how we're living without it, "Teahouse".

Gosh, I can barely barely contain myself over the TeaHouse!

Gosh, I can barely barely contain myself over the TeaHouse!

As long as they don't serve it with Pan-Asian sauce :) Yes, that was actually a thing from a relatively well known, "Asian" themed fast food chain at one point - personally, I gag at the thought of mixing miso, fish sauce and sriracha but what I do know about "Pan-Asian"?

As to TeaHouse, it looks fine as it is - looking forward to it replacing the rather unfortunate plaza.

AoD

Last edited:
(smh as I type this...) Dude, I didn't say it was racist--nice of you to put words in my mouth. I was being sarcastic about the marketer using such a vague and inclusive phrase that it becomes meaningless--seeing as how more than half the world's pop. is Asian.

Good marketing should provide a somewhat specific image so as to be engaging. Asia includes so many vastly different regions that no single image comes to mind. The Middle East, Korea, India, China, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Mongolia, Kazakhstan etc, don't exactly blend together to become a unified, coherent vision. "Indian inspired" actually does paint an image for me, and actually would constitute meaningful ad copy.

Maybe it turns out you wrote the condo ad copy in discussion hereand I hurt your feelings. If so, apologies all around. Live and learn as they say. But, keep in mind, you were the first in this charming exchange to use the loaded phrase "racist". So, that one's on you.

Now, mods, please steer this thread back to the much-anticipated, can't imagine how we're living without it, "Teahouse".

I agree this topic should be kept concise...It could hardly be more obvious to all of us here, and we know the same is true of the people working on this project, that 'Asian inspired' is an intentionally amorphous, nebulous term. The marketers clearly did not want to choose something more specific. Their reasons could be many but to doubt this was advertent and based on precedent would be a peculiar stance to take. I think you were being paid the compliment of assuming that you didn't not not understand this and it was thus believed your post was precipitated by other considerations.

Again, if your criticism is a fact based analysis of the merits and demerits of using this kind of general terminology, versus some other more desirable copy, due to a demontrable discrepency in the pace of sales, that fact was not evident from your post. Merely saying, 'Indian inspired does actually paint an image for me' leaves you fully open to the rebuttal from someone saying, 'Asian inspired actually does paint an image for me.' And this may be one segment of who is being targeted, and perhaps not in the way some might think. It would be interesting to see where the breakdown of where (geographically) these sales come from.

I see your point, UpT. Asian is slightly more specific and exotic sounding than Earth. Nevertheless, previous condo projects have stressed very specific inspirations like Scandinavia and Italy, while still appealing to a pretty broad demographic. But, hey, I'm not in marketing, so I'll guess I'll defer to their mysterious genius for hawking 500sf filing cabinets with cute names.

On another unrelated note, Mayweather just won The Fight of the Century in utterly predictable (re: boring) fashion. How's that for marketing brilliance?

I don't care what "inspired" it, just hurry up and demolish this waste of a block. Nothing useful or historic here, just the same guys renting out 4 units of knock-off clothes stepping in front of me and telling me to go inside for the brand name clothing. Doing that walk 4x per day it gets old REALLY fast. Bring on the "Asian" Teahouse!

I see your point, UpT. Asian is slightly more specific and exotic sounding than Earth. Nevertheless, previous condo projects have stressed very specific inspirations like Scandinavia and Italy, while still appealing to a pretty broad demographic. But, hey, I'm not in marketing, so I'll guess I'll defer to their mysterious genius for hawking 500sf filing cabinets with cute names.

On another unrelated note, Mayweather just won The Fight of the Century in utterly predictable (re: boring) fashion. How's that for marketing brilliance?

Apparent the only thing people know about the massive continent that is called "Asia" is people drink tea.
yes, people know France, Norway, Spain or even Milan, but apparently Asia is just this one homogeneous continent where people consume tea. LOL.

I don't care what "inspired" it, just hurry up and demolish this waste of a block. Nothing useful or historic here, just the same guys renting out 4 units of knock-off clothes stepping in front of me and telling me to go inside for the brand name clothing. Doing that walk 4x per day it gets old REALLY fast. Bring on the "Asian" Teahouse!

Agree. I waited like 3 years so far? And those guys are still there. Bring the damn block down already.

Apparent the only thing people know about the massive continent that is called "Asia" is people drink tea.
yes, people know France, Norway, Spain or even Milan, but apparently Asia is just this one homogeneous continent where people consume tea. LOL.

Better TeaHouse than RiceBowl Condos - I think that's more of a blatant cliche about Asians and their cultural dietary habits.

Who do we think is actually going to buy these condos? Is it really all going to be predominantly occupied by young Asian people (like Aura apparently is)?

Who do we think is actually going to buy these condos? Is it really all going to be predominantly occupied by young Asian people (like Aura apparently is)?

Many of them will be, like any new condos.
However, an Asian theme on the surface in terms of name or décor will do nothing to entice Asian buyers. You know what will entice Asian buyers? Have a mini-T&T at the base of the condo, that will be a huge draw; or provide free kara-okay as part of the facilities, or have some badminton courts instead of racquetball.

I wish they could get this project started so that this hideous block would be gone. It will be a good addition to the neighbourhood. Wish both towers had been approved at the higher height though. Halfway between 2 subway stops is the perfect place for density.

There's a minor variance sign on the north side. "To reconfigure the internal design plans to permit an increase (56) in the number of dwelling units (832). Will be considered on July 8 at 2:00 pm in meeting room 2 at city hall.

This is a substantial increase in units for a building with this many units sold when no floors are being added. Either they are cramming them in or those 3 bedrooms are toast.

It was the latter. The Committee of Adjustment allowed an increase of 56 more units in the two buildings.

Back