Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

I don't think the proposal is that bad and it is nice to see them being forced to include muti bedroom units for a change. I do wonder how this will all work wiht two other projects slated to rise almost across the street on Grenville and Yonge.

Many buildings are including 3 bedroom units now because the City pressures developers to offer them. The problem is they do it as a token of goodwill but most end up around 700-800 sq. ft. which really doesn't cut it as "family sized units", which is what the City is hoping they'll be used for.

Having specific developments cancelled represents a greater economic concern than just personal opinions. It also surprises me how many people still assume those massing studies to be actual renderings for 501 Yonge.

Can't wait to see the radically different renderings then, I bet they be something to behold. LOL

I think the design is fine - its basically Murano on steriods. The structure it's replacing is utterly worthless. These developments help in increase the property values of Yonge which will eventually allow for restoration of more Victorians. Lets face it, the city isnt going to allow Victorians to be demolished.

I so dislike these projects creeping up and down Yonge where I don't think they belong. No one has ever said there's any value to any of the buildings between Alexander & Maitland Sts., it's the development (along with the "460 Yonge" stretch) that some people are opposed to.

As time goes by more and more modifications or alterations are being made to many of these buildings along downtown Yonge which eventually makes them of little or no value thus making way for their demolition. That's why I like the sane heights of the off Yonge projects like FIVE, the project on Grenville St., St. Nicholas St. & the multi 50 storey cluster working their way through the process across from the Wellesley subway station.

That City of Toronto page doesn't show the updated design, so it's not really accurate. Best to keep calm at this point and focus our efforts when the updated design from the working groups is presented to the public.

I hope not, Original is bad enough. Talk about a boring poorly constructed complex. I look forward to the day the scafolds are finally removed from the sidewalk.

Agreed on Murano. It fails on every level: base, tower, and top. Burano on the other hand is an unexpected gem.

That's why I like the sane heights of the off Yonge projects like FIVE, the project on Grenville St., St. Nicholas St. & the multi 50 storey cluster working their way through the process across from the Wellesley subway station.

Not familiar with these - what are they called?
Thank you.

Not familiar with these - what are they called?
Thank you.

FIVE (5 St. Joseph St., west of Yonge), Karma at 21 Grenville (west of Yonge), 8 Gloucester (just east of the Masonic Temple at Yonge & Gloucester) - no name for the project that I know of, Nicholas Residences (67 St. Nicholas at St. Mary St.) and 3 buildings being proposed for the parking lot across the street from the Wellesley station behind the shops on Yonge and on the land of the Catholic Children's Aid Society (a work in progress).

Edit: of course there's also the completed Crystal Blu and Uptown condos on Balmuto Street, just off Yonge.

Last edited:
This proposal is going to ruin yonge street and just lead to more demolition of the victorian builidngs and future highrises. What's there is not great but it shouldn't be replaced by this monstrosity.

This proposal is going to ruin yonge street and just lead to more demolition of the victorian builidngs and future highrises. What's there is not great but it shouldn't be replaced by this monstrosity.

Which monstrosity? None of us have seen the final render so it's hard to call something nobody has seen yet a monstrosity. How will it ruin yonge street? I dont know because i haven't seen the render yet. How will knocking down a row of cheap retail lead to the demolition of Victorian buildings? It won't. The only correct part of your statement was: future highrises. well yea.. its downtown Toronto...highrises happen.

sMT:

How will knocking down a row of cheap retail lead to the demolition of Victorian buildings? It won't.

Actually, it will create the precendent for other proposals of a similar built form along Yonge. This isn't the same as 5ive considering the location of the structures and the proposed street frontage.

AoD

I just dont see how demolishing a block of squat 1 storey junk stores with no heritage value whatsoever could be a catalyst for the demolition of victorian heritage buildings....I understand that changes in zoning can increase the chances of more highrises in the area, but saying that this will "ruin yonge" or "lead to the demolition of more victorian structures" is pushing it

sMT:

Why not - unlike 5ive, most of the sites on that stretch of Yonge are not deep enough to accommodate a tower that is set well back from the street - which means that one could well use this case as a precedent. Nothing particularly "pushing it" about it. Just because something has heritage value has never stopped anyone from facadizing or otherwise going for outright demolition if given the chance. This assessment has nothing to do with the fact that the proposed site should be redeveloped in some form on its' own merit.

AoD

Last edited:

Back