Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

Honestly, Project End is right. I don't think he's talking about shapes here, but rather the design process.

Aura simply isn't sophisticated enough--it's like comparing a couch from the Brick to a couch from Ital Interiors.

Considering the size of Aura--that's a tragedy.

My massing study is not aimed at aA, but rather the developer--trying to show that there's more to sell in this city than (the same old styled) twin towers on a podium. The developer wants that, demands that, from aA because it work$ for them.

I don't think he's talking about shapes here, but rather the design process.

Yes, and the fact is that people are more concerned about shapes (i.e. vision and concept) than the design process (i.e. agonizing over "how the brick meets the glass"). aA usually excels at the latter but people tend to be more interested by the former. Why is that so difficult to grasp?

SPIRE:

The massing for your sketch is fine - but the site is much narrower than what you have portrayed and the point tower would probably be unrealistically thin as proposed.

re: materials

Not having all glass is one thing, I'd rather not see bad precast (Uptown) or EIFS just down the street either. Strangely I think Diamond Schmitt would do a fine job at this location.

AoD

Because he is a member that has been banned multiple times previously - by the alias of:

Mystery White Boy
Dugmor
Gord
Hairy Yeti Poo Balls
etc, etc.

AoD

SPIRE:

The massing for your sketch is fine - but the site is much narrower than what you have portrayed and the point tower would probably be unrealistically thin as proposed.

re: materials

Not having all glass is one thing, I'd rather not see bad precast (Uptown) or EIFS just down the street either. Strangely I think Diamond Schmitt would do a fine job at this location.

AoD

agreed wholeheartedly on both counts

I've altered the sketch. The shorter point tower is more a bit more slab-like and the taller tower has been fattened.

I've modified the plans to $queeze more from the overseas investors.:)

501yongenimbytect1feb20.png

501yongenimbytect1feb20.png

Again not exactly to scale, but tallest tower would be around 50-60s.

I'm liking the concept... multiple facades to keep the integrity of the streetscape! lots of varying heights, some slanted faces which also work as setbacks higher up. My feeling is that you'd still likely need to cut the number of components in half and widen the ones you keep to make something like that actually doable in the dimensions of this block. But hey, I'll definitely give you points for the concept!

Redroom:

multiple facades to keep the integrity of the streetscape!

Not necessarily. If I assume the the shortest "chunk" of the design to be 2, 3s - the tallest tower in the design will only be 20, 30s - that's a lot less dense than what was in the proposal; and like you have suggested, there are constructability issues.

AoD

The small scale setbacks you see on the Yonge facade are at the 3.5-4s mark. The mid-green roof section between the two towers, or podium top, would be around 8-10s.

The tallest tower may in fact be more like 65s.

Again, not precisely to scale so yes width of sections may be widened.

But locals, aka nimbies, I need your feedback! Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

Back