Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

The Old Arbat Str in Moscow is a good example: centrally located yet probably the only remaining street with 1-2 storey building intact. The street went major overhaul in 80th and it is now a pedestrial-only street and a major tourist attraction:

IMG_9422.JPG

ummm, I don't see any 1-2 story buildings.
If one loves 1-2 story houses, there are millions of them in the suburbs, aren't there? Toronto is a big city, not a town. 1-2 story buildings in downtown? are we crazy?

One loves 1-2 story houses, there are millions of them in the suburbs, aren't there? Toronto is a big city, not a town. 1-2 story buildings in downtown? are we crazy?

Sure, we'll take those 3, 4s - notice that a) they isn't a 50s tower slapped on top and b) Moscow isn't a "small city".

Thanks for the photos. I hope everyone now realizes there is nothing "historical" about all these buildings and nothing can be worse than what is seen now. There is absolutely nothing there that is worth keeping.

I don't think anybody said anything about the buildings on the site are "worth it", much less historical. The issue here is what constitute appropriate scale, vis-a-vis the heritage value of the Yonge Street strip as a whole. Then again, considering your views of the Empress Hotel arson...

AoD

Last edited:
There are more 1-2-3 storey buildings on that street that you don't see in the picture. Actually, Muscovites like these low-rise historical areas that survived Stalin's "modernization" policy. I agree that mid-rise buildings are more appropriate in a big city, but some of the remaining 2-storey buildings on Yonge should be spared and revitalized (as in 5 St. Joseph project).

There are more 1-2-3 storey buildings on that street that you don't see in the picture. Actually, Muscovites like these low-rise historical areas that survived Stalin's "modernization" policy. I agree that mid-rise buildings are more appropriate in a big city, but some of the remaining 2-storey buildings on Yonge should be spared and revitalized (as in 5 St. Joseph project).

Some 1+2 bluiding should be spared, but not so much on this strip. Let's develop this prime real estate into a beast of a building, that it's neighbours can envy. That's what this is all about. NIMBYs don't want a building here because it takes their view away and it takes their sunlight away. Torontonians desire something better in this location, I'm all for this building... and building taller on Yonge.

We can save all those 1+2 story buildings on the Danforth and on Queen Street East in Leslieville... Yonge is a major street, it's gotta the subway and density should be allowed to happen and should be expected... it's downtown and things are constantly changing.... deal with it it Yonge Street!!

Some 1+2 bluiding should be spared, but not so much on this strip. Let's develop this prime real estate into a beast of a building, that it's neighbours can envy. That's what this is all about. NIMBYs don't want a building here because it takes their view away and it takes their sunlight away. Torontonians desire something better in this location, I'm all for this building... and building taller on Yonge.

We can save all those 1+2 story buildings on the Danforth and on Queen Street East in Leslieville... Yonge is a major street, it's gotta the subway and density should be allowed to happen and should be expected... it's downtown and things are constantly changing.... deal with it it Yonge Street!!

It's frustrating because you don't get the concern here. The plans that we have seen so far look like crap. What's there now looks also like crap. What most on here I think would prefer would be something like five st Jo. It's a small street regardless of its grandeur and deserves something appropriate Such as high rises set back or mortises along it's entirety from college north up to. Close to bloor. Keep the charm and add density at same time. I want to have AND eat my cake please and why not..

I'm happy with the current design... I'm sure it's going to change a little... but regardless, I'm actually considering purchasing into this condo. It's this... or 10 York. But I like this location better... but I like 10 York current design and the idea of facing west looking at the Gardiner... better... so it's a toss up.

I'm hoping both both projects get the sales they need to start construction prior to the doom and gloom super cycle of construction grinds to a stop... (if it stops.... fingers hoping that we ride through this worldwide economic malise okay.) And... at some point I'm going have to decide which building I like better.

I'm supper happy with the 501 location, and I'm super impressed that the Maple Leaf Garden Loblaws is finally opened, that Church St with it's quaint 1 + 2 stories buildings is just a block away... it's truely... IMO one great spot to live. I know there's other developments that are going to occur... that I might not like in the area... but I'm not to worried about Yonge Street losing it's charm. Losing these buildings isn't the end of the world or the end of Yonge Street as we know it.

I'm supper happy with the 501 location, and I'm super impressed that the Maple Leaf Garden Loblaws is finally opened, that Church St with it's quaint 1 + 2 stories buildings is just a block away... it's truely... IMO one great spot to live. I know there's other developments that are going to occur... that I might not like in the area... but I'm not to worried about Yonge Street losing it's charm. Losing these buildings isn't the end of the world or the end of Yonge Street as we know it.

Let's just plow down Church, Jarvis, Sherbourne and Parliament Streets too and get rid of all those pesky old buildings. Then start fresh and build high, geeky condo skyscrapers - after all those are downtown streets too.

Let's just plow down Church, Jarvis, Sherbourne and Parliament Streets too and get rid of all those pesky old buildings. Then start fresh and build high, geeky condo skyscrapers - after all those are downtown streets too.

you forgot Queen St and Dundas st, east and west. start with all of those public housing in/near Moss Park.
the word geeky should be replaced with sleek though.

agree with every word.
don't understand the obsession with 1-2 story houses. don't we have like millions of them everywhere in Toronto??
Not only that stretch on Yonge (which is ridiculous), but also Dundas st from Sherbourne to Beverly (except near Yonge and University), as well as Queen West, from University to Bathurst.
church st needs some overhaul as way. Yes there are some nice low rise that should be preserved, but I'd say 70% can go with no regret whatsoever.

too many people are stuck with their old small townish mindset and think they know history/culture better than others. We are not Paris and we will never be anything close no matter how many small old houses are decide to keep.

you forgot Queen St and Dundas st, east and west. start with all of those public housing in/near Moss Park.

I assume you were being sarcastic. Sounds like something they would do in nouveau riche Dubai. "Poor people aren't actually people you know, and we are all better than them anyways" - Every person from Dubai I have ever known....unfortunatly.

I assume you were being sarcastic. Sounds like something they would do in nouveau riche Dubai. "Poor people aren't actually people you know, and we are all better than them anyways" - Every person from Dubai I have ever known....unfortunatly.

any particular buildings on Dundas East between Victoria and Parliament you think are too valuable or pretty to go?
poor people are real people. I just prefer they don't linger on the downtown streets all the time doing nothing. If they have to do this, do it somewhere less visible to normal people.

Epic post. What do you suggest we do with those people living in public housing?

Also, in reference to your other post, what's wrong with a bit of loitering? Isn't that what public spaces are for?

We are not Paris and we will never be anything close no matter how many small old houses are decide to keep.

Why would we want to be Paris? Our delightful, small-scaled residential housing stock from the mid-19th century reflects our origins as a British colonial city and is nothing like Haussmann's city of large and terribly grand rows. Are we to bulldoze our heritage as if we're some ghastly Chinese city that wants to forget its past and be like everywhere else?

Epic post. What do you suggest we do with those people living in public housing?

Also, in reference to your other post, what's wrong with a bit of loitering? Isn't that what public spaces are for?

off the top of my head, move them further to east of DVP? Or West of Dufferin?
it is subsidized housing, don't tell me they get to be picky about locations. Prime central locations are for business and mid-high income folks.

loitering itself should not be forbidden. the sad thing is it is usually associated with higher crime rate, believe it or not. When that happens, it means the area needs some clean-up.

Back