Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

This may come as a shock, but condo owner own cars too. Transit may sound like the utopian solution, but it doesn't go every where and it is horribly overcrowded. Besides, who are you, or city council, to decide who will and who won't own a car?

If you really want people to adopt transit as their primary means of transportation in the city, we need to spend some money to expand it and make it work first. We need more Provincial and even Federal money to make transit the solution it needs to be. Until then, people will still need cars.

Then shouldn't the market regulate parking rather than the government? If most condo owners want parking spots, then they simply won't buy condos that don't offer them. However, I'm assuming there are enough potential buyers out there for a few condos to go without major parking garages, and Lanterra should be free to take that risk if they want.

You still haven't answered my question as to why a municipal policy exists that forces developers to offer parking spots.

I was also present at the meeting last night, and it was indeed amusing to watch Clewes cover for Lanterra. He delivered an interesting presentation and responded to many outbursts of buffoonery with eloquence and class. I certainly got the impression that even Clewes himself thinks this project in its current incarnation is egregiously awful.

If this gets built as proposed, the traffic situation around Maitland Terrace (rear laneway), + Maitland/Alexander Streets will be absolutely wretched (despite persistent claims by a suave transportation consultant that traffic impacts will not be significant). As per the traffic consultant, there is room for a truck and car to pass side-by-side on Maitland Terrace (which she said will be 6.3m wide). I am extremely skeptical that traffic would flow smoothly. It will clog up rapidly and the resulting congestion on Maitland/Alexander will be terrible.

My $0.02 is that parking should be eliminated altogether, except for a few autoshare/zipcar spots. I truly believe this hideous behemoth of a parking bunker is a way more important design problem than the height of the towers.

Maybe we should just invert it, and put all the parking way at the top via elevator, where it wouldn't offend anyone. It'd be exactly the same thing, but fascinating.

Heee!

501invert.jpg

How about a publicly-accessible green space on top of the parking garage? One way to make it public yet retaining the privacy of the owners would be to have a garage top cafe level, with a view of the city with a large patio/green space available to (cafe patrons) public?

And brick could work wonders here--picture a twin 58s version of that beautiful Bay St office building that is to be replaced by a faceless glass highrise office tower--either using real brick or precast red brick panels similar to the Florian's cladding.

Finally the base--have the retail mimic the classic Victorian retail strip--red brick, angled display windows etc.

In return--75sx2.:)

My $0.02 is that parking should be eliminated altogether, except for a few autoshare/zipcar spots. I truly believe this hideous behemoth of a parking bunker is a way more important design problem than the height of the towers.

I'm on board with that. A two storey podium, eliminate parking - zipcar/autoshare only, plenty of resident & guest bicycle parking, lower the height of the buildings and it must go through a design review board.

Simplistic unto crude massing. AA's big strength - and sometimes weakness - is svelte, easy-to-read simplicity. Their buildings use the latest technology well to produce finely assembled, surprisingly comfortable homes. Sometimes, that's a cool, urbane strength. Other times, it looks like the dullest of cliches.
Yonge is a lively, polygot hot mess of a street. Cool urbanity and svelte restraint are not it's calling card. Nor are large, chilled-down blockish buildings. It's not that Aa are bad architects, not by a long shot. It's that are they the right architects for this stretch? I don't want to push this too far towards contextualism, but...if the heiress is too refined to get dirty, do we want her at the party? Now if Alsop or MVRDVhad been given this job...!

So, I don't think Toronto folks are unsophisticated and rejecting this 'just because'. I think there's heartfelt issues at stake.
I guess we'll have to wait and see until those final renders start showing up.

Indeed. What if "Alsop or MVRDVhad been given this job?" I wonder how much either of those architects'/firms' solutions would have differed from the approach aA are pursuing here. What would surely set either of those firms apart would be the treatment of the detailing each spec'd to a common massing.

In the end as an architect/firm you've got to put down x number of units at x FAR on a site of size x. Whatever frills you as the architect decide to incorporate or apply are your business and will generally be accepted as long as the come in at cost. Developers aren't immoral they're amoral; they're just in search of a certain outcome from a pre-determined situation. They naturally go for what works and are reluctant to try new things.

It's another reason why the structural backflips expected by some members are unlikely, if possible at all. But it's conversely the reason why many developers have seen the benefit of hiring certain firms for certain outcomes.

Given that this will probably go to the OMB anyways, I'd give Peter a pat on the back for being Lanterra's scapegoat. To present schemes like 501 Yonge (especially in massing-form) to a body of people who are most-likely going to oppose what is being proposed must be a daunting task, but I've found he still tries to offer a fair assessment of what will likely be constructed in these neighbourhoods.

Well, I think there would have to be a different developer at work here and one who is looking at different - or more expansive - aims than Lanterra, to have a different architecture firm putting up the building. If that was the case, the programme of the building, it's form and massing, and finally, the resultant detail could be quite different.

Lanterra is going for maximum return on their dollar with a narrow programme in mind - and doing so in an astringently conservative, reliably respectable manner. The form definitely matches the function. That's not easy to fault, but in this case, I do wish for more from the start.

I think it was unfair of Lanterra to put Clewes in front of a generally unfriendly crowd like that. I don't think that's his job, to go it alone. They should have gone themselves - after all, they are the engine driving this thing.

Not to mention that as the architect there were questions that were not his place to answer. Why on earth Lanterra was even ALLOWED to be absent (apart from their lawyer running up at one point to ensure the crowd that community meetings are not normally posted directly on-site, when they were accused of not doing so; she pointed out that they only post the final city council meeting date on the on-site development board) I don't understand.

It wasn't Clewes' job to present at this point, in my opinion, and they are lucky he did it for them. It's so early in the development's evolution that the developer should have been there especially at this point in the process, leaving the architect to answer more specific design questions when that time comes in the process.

I'm on board with that. A two storey podium, eliminate parking - zipcar/autoshare only, plenty of resident & guest bicycle parking, lower the height of the buildings and it must go through a design review board.

Add me to the list in support of no cars.

Owning a car is not a right, but a privilege with respect for other people.

If you live in the city core and work in the city core, then there is no need for a car. The only time I have a car is when I go out of town and rent one. Rest of the time I walk, use transit and very rare ride a bike.

If we don't stop building 1 spot for 1 unit, where do you plan on putting a car on the road in 20 years and how long do you think it going to take you to get there if there is total gridlock 7/24?

In many cases when someone moves into their new condo, they don't show up with 1 car, but 2 or more. Where do you put those extra cars? A lot of new owners show up with no cars.

Until transit is beef up not only in Toronto, but all around, transit trips will not be fun to use at this time.

Add me to the list in support of no cars.

To be clear, I'm not anti-car. I despise this project for reasons stated earlier in this thread however, with that said, I think the city needs to be more flexible with some projects that don't include parking facilities. The Residences of RCMI was a giant leap forward and I think should also be adapted here to help save the street from a one block, 70 or 80 foot podium. Not everyone who lives downtown works downtown so until we have a solid and efficient transit system in place for the GTA cars will continue to clog the streets as people drive in from out of town, and downtown residents drive to their jobs in Brampton, Oshawa, Markham and such.

I was at the meeting as well, and just have not had enough time until now to mention it.

I was pleasantly surprised that the meeting did not descend into a screaming match, and that despite the polarized aspirations for the site, that the meeting ran smoothly enough and coolly enough. Much of the thanks for that must go to City of Toronto Planners Sarah Henstock who handled many questions, and Michael Hynes who facilitated the audience questions, and both of whom set the tone for the evening I thought. While the great majority of comments and questions from the audience were hostile to the project as currently proposed, the demeanour of the crowd was reasonably respectful nevertheless. Peter Clewes was the consummate professional; articulate, dispassionate, able to engage, and also to simply disengage when he was not in the position to answer a question (which was a minimal number of times). If he was ever feeling pressed, he did not telegraph that, but at the end of the meeting when mentioning the copious notes he had taken and from which aA would take what advisement they could for refinements, he did single out one comment that he found hurtful; an audience member declaring something akin to this project is a gesture of "overwhelming negativity".

Clewes did show renderings as noted earlier, but he was careful to say that these were "massing studies only". For clarity's sake, in case any readers are not certain what that means, Clewes is saying that no expectations of final architectural details should be created by these massing studies. It's more than "details could change" at this point; it's closer to saying "this is not what the towers will look like". The massing studies are used to determine, more than anything, where shadows would be cast, how the project's volume would fit into the local cityscape, and to an extent how the project would affect wind. More detailed wind studies, however, come later when the project is more detailed.

The Towers

Here is my take on why the intended architectural design has not been released yet: doing so would indicate to neighbours that this project is already at a stage where they would have little input… and now is the time for input!

The snazzy renderings we see at marketing time cost a lot of money anyway. That's why we rarely see new renderings when a project adds height mid-way through a project, etc., and why the developers would not be in a rush to show us more yet: why spend the cash on something that's likely to change still.

All of that is not to say that more detailed plans would not be brewing yet at aA. It's reasonable to expect that all sorts of ideas have been considered, and that there may in fact be a favourite concept at this point, and in fact renderings of a concept have been spotted by a forum member already.

501YongeP1240947.jpg

looking west-southwest

501YongeP1240937.jpg

looking west-southwest

501YongeP1240938.jpg

looking south

501YongeP1240940.jpg

looking southeast

501YongeP1240942.jpg

looking east

501YongeP1240945.jpg

looking west

The Podium

Much time was spent at the meeting presenting various possible strategies of disguising the parking levels behind an attractive skin. Precedents from several cities were shown, including instances where the walls have been turned green by plants, and others where artists have typically created modern, avant garde screens of many different sorts. The images below show in every case a series of storefronts, all two floors in height, and separated by recessed articulations in the building's Yonge Street façade. None of the façade treatments shown are meant to be seen as a final design of any kind.

501YongeP1240960.jpg

501YongeP1240963.jpg

501YongeP1240967.jpg

501YongeP1240964.jpg

Parking

Lanterra is proposing to build half of the parking spaces required by the zoning bylaw for the number of units they propose to build.

While many posts here ask 'why build any, it's on a subway line', (and there were a couple of comments in that vein at the meeting), the lack of parking seemed to be a greater concern for most who spoke (albeit no-one wants a podium as large as is being proposed).

Here's the reason that City zoning bylaw requires, and the neighbours want, "adequate" parking for the proposal: buildings create a need for it. The question now though is 'what is adequate?'.

While recent sales history for condominiums downtown show that fewer residents are buying parking spaces, and therefore what the zoning bylaw requires is becoming increasingly out-of-date, it is unrealistic to expect that no owners will want parking in new buildings. (One building right at St. Patrick subway station has so far been allowed to build without parking (other than a few Zipcar/Autoshare spaces) as an experiment.) Some owners who buy without a car may eventually buy, and then need space to park their vehicle. People visiting condo residents sometimes look for visitor parking. It happens. The worry is that without adequate parking for each building, cars will clog street parking and other facilities, and potentially cause more congestion. Then it is not just a problem for the building, but for the wider area.

Again though, there is a question about what is an adequate number of spaces per unit now.

Worth noting: the very first comment made was read from a prepared speech written by Robert Fabian, a neighbour who has put up 501yonge.ca, a website to track the project. It would not have mattered what was said during the presentation, and it didn't, as Mr. Fabian had his prepared script. Mr. Fabian's website comes complete with his own somewhat misleading massing studies, especially noteworthy being an image that shows the disappearance of Yonge Street's sidewalk past the building, whereas the proposal plans to widen it by at least a metre if not two.

One point to correct from an earlier post:

Lanterra was at the meeting, although they were not introduced. A lawyer working on Lanterra's behalf did come to the front to answer one question.

Did I miss anything? Hmm…

Considering what is there now and what is being proposed in these renderings above I cannot see how anyone could object to this proposal.

Why is there so much opposition to the above-grade parking structure:confused: These are common-place in Chicago which is hardly an architectural backwater.

Thanks i42

Not particularly impressed - while it's not horrid, there is no overwhelming justification as to why this built form is appropriate for the site; there is no attempt to transition or otherwise build something different - it's a spec condo at this point. The renderings intending to show massing are also quite misleading in the sense that they are all portrayed from a POV that is clearly a) seen from above ground and b) some distance away from the site - which minimizes the effect of the building. There is also no attempt to show the relationship with the greater streetscape of Yonge Street at all, other than those renderings intended to portray the podium treatment. Frankly, if you think long and hard about it - just how different is this building from a slab along Yonge which happened to have a slit in between that is less than the width of the proposed point tower?

Sorry, one need to do better than this if they wanted to make the case for the rather high density envisioned for the site.

Peepers:

What's there now is a different issue that's what's in this proposal - it's a false dichotomy that you have set up.

AoD

Last edited:
Those towers look exactly like the one originally presented at the community mtg for Karma condo.

My issue with the podium options as shown by I42 is that there are only 5-6 storefronts when we are losing double that. Will there be enough entries created so the building could evolve to have more? Maybe a more detailed render will show I have nothing to worry about.

Back