Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

I can hear the announcement already.........................R-I-C-O-L-A..................R-I-C-O-L-A

501 Yonge.jpg
501 Yonge 1.jpg
501 Yonge 2.jpg

Attachments

• 501 Yonge.jpg
    501 Yonge.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 3,030
  • 501 Yonge 1.jpg
    501 Yonge 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 968
  • 501 Yonge 2.jpg
    501 Yonge 2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 959
I love how Lanterra keeps saying they are rejuvenating the area, as if their previous projects in the hood failed to do so.

It looks like the balconies have a subtle indentation about 1/3 of the way up, kind of like what Five Condo does up the street.

What's with the roof line on this one? Glass balconies all the way up and then a giant, precast, 3-story slab as the finishing touch?

This thing looks top-heavy to me.

Looks like glass not precast?

The towers are pretty meh but more importantly the massing of the podium looks good, some nice solid street wall.

So some architects came up with this? It's terribly boring. The site invites something iconic, and iconic this thing ain't.

Also, this begs a question, is this site not perhaps suitable for something other than a condo? Very valuable location, perhaps a hotel with retail, and a major restaurant and a signature store. One really wonders where this city is going and why the administration is letting the developers run the planning.

I'm disappointed, mostly with the banal design of this thing, but more to the point I wonder if condo-condo-condo is the answer to developing these downtown sites.

This, along with UAvenue, are really big disappointments.

Why is multi-unit residential in the downtown core, close to transit, jobs, retail and other amenities a bad thing? I appreciate that 501 Yonge isn't as exciting as you might like, but it's a bit of a leap of logic to extend that opinion that to the building's program. What's more, the final product is the result of extensive community consultation as well as any number of design revisions - hardly 'developers running the planning.'

It's easy to throw around the term 'condo' in a pejorative way but considering what that word means for the future of cities, it's actually quite a compliment

Back