Toronto T3 Sterling Road | 52.52m | 11s | Hines | DLR

Huh, cool! Hines is partnering on this one and it seems it'll be branded as part of their T3 series (T3 Bayside being their first in Toronto). They also have a completed T3 building in Minneapolis and one in progress in Atlanta, both with architecture by DLR.

The design for their Atlanta project actually looks very similar to this one, to the point that I thought I was looking at the same building for a second:
01-46_15101_10-t3-west-midtown-atlanta-dlr-group.jpg

(via https://www.dlrgroup.com/work/t3-west-midtown/)

Looks like this property is with Marlin Spring now. Their website mentions 158 Sterling Road among their development portfolio, with 646 Condominium Units and GFA 495,000 Sq.Ft.

Last edited:
Looks like this property is with Marlin Spring now. Their website mentions 158 Sterling Road among their development portfolio, with 646 Condominium Units and GFA 495,000 Sq.Ft.

I wonder if their site is up to date... it seems to list 5 Defries as a "Completed Development"? Isn't that the pre-construction River & Fifth condo?

I wonder if their site is up to date... it seems to list 5 Defries as a "Completed Development"? Isn't that the pre-construction River & Fifth condo?

The wording is misleading but I believe what they meant by "Completed Development" is that they've completed their part of planning process and have flipped the property. Just like how 30 & 44 Zorra Street is lead by Altree Developments and marketed as Thirty Six Zorra. Although for that one, Marlin Spring and Altree are pretty much sibling companies.

And with that, i've now lost all hope for this project.

From Bailao's newsletter:

Castlepoint Greybrook Sterling Inc. recently announced that Hines Canada and Marlin Spring have acquired the remaining development blocks in the Lower Junction project at Sterling and Perth.

In 2015, the site was rezoned for 1.1 million square feet of mixed use development, of which approximately 55% is allocated to commercial uses and approximately 45% to residential uses. The Lower Junction project will include a number of community improvements, including a new park and open spaces, a new daycare facility, and affordable housing. With the addition of Hines and Marlin Spring to the community, these improvements will now be accelerated.

T0EBs2qfN-eCh1HFN8vhHjbabcOVHfDL8V-RabPxAalL9w1WQfELab4kMwS3v2SWdB4CPOon-CTa9Die53GaaxRFg6elPtl1z5HGdSKUPlTGrrq9lHTJHRqHu_TPI7Iv7VtEpMuhJvT6TrOL1hOp4cvpxTZa2IS2vfTx6LUSVUAUdR7HBLFYtoM=s0-d-e1-ft

Over the past 10+ years there have been many milestones:
  • The Tower Automotive building was restored and reimagined. This landmark historical building opened its doors almost two years ago and welcomed the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) to its new home
  • Construction of 32 townhomes along Perth Avenue,
  • Finalized the Plan of Subdivision approval, which ensures orderly development of the site and secures both hard and soft infrastructure delivery i.e. new park, daycare, affordable housing and street improvements, and
  • with Rio Tinto Alcan addressed and remediated the environmental legacy of the site.
As highlighted in the enclosed key map, Hines will build out three commercial office buildings and Marlin Spring three residential buildings. A joint development agreement amongst Castlepoint, Hines and Marlin Spring has also been entered into to ensure the smooth delivery of key infrastructure to support the approved master plan including the realignment of Perth Avenue, the delivery of a future park and permanent access to the West Toronto Railpath immediately south of the completed townhomes.

I will continue to work in the interests of the community to ensure development takes place here in a coordinated, orderly way and work with the City and all development partners to minimize disruption and maximise community benefits. I have heard residents concerns about the ongoing challenges of parking in the area and we will be working together in the coming months with the community and developers to address this issue.

Thanks for sharing. Admittedly, even though Ana Bailao is my local councilor, I haven't subscribed to her newsletters. ?

It's interesting to see the breakdown of the development site into various blocks. And encouraging that there's a good mix of commercial and residential usages, along with the creation of a new street to increase circulation.

^A la West Block style like we're seeing with Concord Adex and Co.

I feel like the residential portion is already a write off since Marlin Spring is involved and we already know they're 99% going to go with G+C. That along with their value engineering tactics, it bode well at all for this site.

Looking at the asterisk on the above map next to Block 5C and that the development partner is Marling Spring, I would not be surprised to see it be combined as part of the development plan for Block 5B.

According to Marlin Spring's development web page, their entire project here will include 646 residential units, which is a pretty substantial amount altogether. Based on the announcement above, I'm interested in knowing how many of those units will be towards affordable housing.

Tight office space in downtown cores sends companies to the fringe

Peter Nowak
Special to The Globe and Mail
Published March 24, 2020

The three-building development, on Sterling Road next to Henderson Brewing Co. and the Museum of Contemporary Art, is set to begin construction this year. The project is part of Houston-based Hines’s T3 concept, which uses heavy timber as the primary construction material. It will add 39,000 square metres of office space to the West Toronto area.

The company plans to begin marketing to potential tenants in a few months, with technology and creative firms the targets. Hines expects that the Junction Triangle area, combined with the nature of the building itself, will appeal to such companies.

1585055385922.png

Back