Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

From Mississauga:
IMG_8945.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8945.jpg
    IMG_8945.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 1,428
I expect that I will be "yelled at" for having an opinion different from the rest of Urban Toronto, but man, this does not feel like an improvement over what preceded this to me. My feeling of this complex also states that it is way way way way under the bar for such a prime site. The balconies are a lazy, uninspired attempt at standing out in the skyline. It did not work at all. This project's height is also a contributing factor to my dislike, as it feels like it will never be redeveloped. This project is for me the white elephant in South Core, as there is absolutely no excuse to permit this in such a prime area. There is very little, if at all, anything interesting about this project. It could definitely go in another part of Downtown that needs it, but not here. This project would likely drag the area's tide down if they were planned to be the area's centrepiece, which I think it is. I am done with all the praise for this, as it is not worthy of that. Choosing to develop this project was such a silly choice, as there was no reason to do that. If Menkes typically builds bad condos, this would be the worst. I can easily call it one of the worst developments in this building boom. Worst is that it insults TEN YORK to the west that looks a lot nicer than this
Absolute turd
. This complex's prime location makes it look like the subject of the skyline, even if it is not. I personally would say that this is what NOT to do, as it is a fail on most levels.

Poor Downtown residents will see this missed opportunity almost every day. :(

I expect that I will be "yelled at" for having an opinion different from the rest of Urban Toronto, but man, this does not feel like an improvement over what preceded this to me. My feeling of this complex also states that it is way way way way under the bar for such a prime site. The balconies are a lazy, uninspired attempt at standing out in the skyline. It did not work at all. This project's height is also a contributing factor to my dislike, as it feels like it will never be redeveloped. This project is for me the white elephant in South Core, as there is absolutely no excuse to permit this in such a prime area. There is very little, if at all, anything interesting about this project. It could definitely go in another part of Downtown that needs it, but not here. This project would likely drag the area's tide down if they were planned to be the area's centrepiece, which I think it is. I am done with all the praise for this, as it is not worthy of that. Choosing to develop this project was such a silly choice, as there was no reason to do that. If Menkes typically builds bad condos, this would be the worst. I can easily call it one of the worst developments in this building boom. Worst is that it insults TEN YORK to the west that looks a lot nicer than this . This complex's prime location makes it look like the subject of the skyline, even if it is not. I personally would say that this is what NOT to do, as it is a fail on most levels.

Poor Downtown residents will see this missed opportunity almost every day. :(

Yeah - we know - you've only mentioned it multiple times in this thread since you joined 7 weeks ago.

I know you are not going to believe me immediately, but I am so disappointed with this.

I don't understand anyone giving this project a pass. One York is just a plain banal box. I have just as much dislike for Harbour Plaza, which are ugly cheap spandrel slabs without character. This is too tall too, with a location from it you can see miles away. The design is only more uninspired Menkes garbage. And worst of all is that it crowds TEN YORK to the west which I like tons better than this ****. :(

IMHO, I can't tolerate this type of extreme turd.

There is nothing I like about this except that it brings offices to the area. I'm surprised almost everyone likes this.

What I like:
  • It is acceptable if just infill for the area.
What I dislike:
  • This project is abundant in spandrel.
  • This project takes a prime piece of Toronto's skyline - it feels like it is the subject of Toronto's skyline.
  • There is nothing that will block this from the Toronto Islands.
  • 1 York crowds TEN YORK too much.
  • From just about every viewpoint you can see this for a long time.
  • Harbour Plaza is just balconies and spandrel.
Too bad these got height increases. :mad: :(

Judging by these posts and your admiration for TEN YORK in here and in it's thread - it sounds like you someone aren't isn't happy that your their view from TEN YORK is going to be blocked by this project.

Back