Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

That equipment on site is not for shoring or piling, those are are site remediators.

Once the permit has been filed with the city for excavation, shoring rigs and excavators will be brought on site. Even though to a "layman" the site appears to look like is being prepared for excavation, this is actually site remediation.

Last edited:
I took another look this morning, and the CFA rig on the north side is definitely drilling to the full length of the auger. Seems pretty deep just for soil remediation, but I don't know the details of the site.

Last edited:
That equipment on site is not for shoring or piling, those are are site remediators.

Once the permit has been filed with the city for excavation, shoring rigs and excavators will be brought on site. Even though to a "layman" the site appears to look like is being prepared for excavation, this is actually site remediation.

Ah, I see. The interesting question to me then is when that permit is gonna be filed. I wanna see this baby rise asap--and all three buildings, at that. Not just the office component.

Maybe they have to put the shoring all around the site so they can start remediating the soil in the middle, probably have to remediate about 5 or 6 stories down before they solve all the remediation issues with the infill dirt of history past

Interesting stuff. Regardless of the project status, this is certainly more fascinating to watch than a parking lot.

Maybe they have to put the shoring all around the site so they can start remediating the soil in the middle, probably have to remediate about 5 or 6 stories down before they solve all the remediation issues with the infill dirt of history past

Yes, this exactly. I got a picture of site remediation steel tubing last night...

8363040492_0ac3d256e7_b.jpg

Should be enough to get down 5 to 6 floors to continue the site remediation, then once finished they can dump the remediated soil back in and get their excavation permit.

Am I missing something? Remediation to me just means that they would just pull out all the contaminated soil any old garbage living under the site and then fill it back in to make it habitable. Why would they fill it back in if they were just going to dig it out again later. To me it would make more sense to do the shoring and digging for the entire site (since it's going to have to be done anyway whether or not it's going to be filled back in) and hope you have everything lined up to begin construction on the office and residential towers once the hole is dug out.

Am I missing something? Remediation to me just means that they would just pull out all the contaminated soil any old garbage living under the site and then fill it back in to make it habitable. Why would they fill it back in if they were just going to dig it out again later. To me it would make more sense to do the shoring and digging for the entire site (since it's going to have to be done anyway whether or not it's going to be filled back in) and hope you have everything lined up to begin construction on the office and residential towers once the hole is dug out.

I think that's what most people would think.

Perhaps we need an addendum to the old expression "Never attribute malice to that which might be attributed to stupidity" for this thread? "Never attribute pre-construction to that which be attributed to useless excavation," or something like that?

So is it confirmed somewhere that the plan is to dig it out and then fill it back in, the whole concept seems so uneconomic as to be bizarre.

So is it confirmed somewhere that the plan is to dig it out and then fill it back in, the whole concept seems so uneconomic as to be bizarre.

Is it though? If they know that they're not going to be building the condo towers for several years, perhaps it makes financial sense to fill it back up and turn it back into a parking lot rather than letting it sit idle as a giant hole. My suspicion is that they'll build the office tower as well as the underground parking levels for the condo towers and any retail podium, then wait to build the condo towers themselves at a later date.

My suspicion is that they'll build the office tower as well as the underground parking levels for the condo towers and any retail podium, then wait to build the condo towers themselves at a later date.

In which case it still wouldn't make sense for them to fill the hole back in. Also, if they know they're not going to be building for several years, then why begin soil remediation now?

In which case it still wouldn't make sense for them to fill the hole back in. Also, if they know they're not going to be building for several years, then why begin soil remediation now?

Exactly, as one who has been directly involved in large remediations for commercial projects, you don't usually start remediating until you are ready to build. Especially if you need a large hole in the ground anyway.

Back